Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com> on 2004/08/16 21:12:13 UTC

RFE: --disable-apache configure option

All,

I've just started testing 1.1.0rc2 and noticed that we still don't
have a --disable-apache option (you have to use --without-apache
--without-apxs --disable-mod-activation) which is necessary when
building Subversion on a system with an old version of Apache
installed.

I was going to file this as an issue, but apparently my account
creation ("easysw") failed spectacularly and I am unable to view any
tigris.org pages right now... :(

If there is interest, I'll whip up a patch tomorrow against trunk
and submit it for consideration.  It would be great if you could put
it in 1.1.0 as well...

Re: RFE: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
Michael Sweet wrote:
> I could change them to:
>
>     --with-http-static (instead of --with-apache)
>     --with-http-dynamic (instead of --with-apxs)

Rats, I meant (of course):

     --with-httpd-static (instead of --with-apache)
     --with-httpd-dynamic (instead of --with-apxs)

Re: RFE: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
>>>Let's just add a note to use --without-apxs to the "apache is too old"
>>>error.
>>
>>That will work for me; it seems like --without-apxs bypasses all of
>>the Apache stuff and allows me to build, so that solution works for
>>me.
>

> Right. I'll commit it.

Thx!  BTW, this was filed (after my account got straightened out)
as issue #2007...

Re: RFE: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Michael Sweet wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>>     --with-httpd-static (instead of --with-apache)
>>>     --with-httpd-dynamic (instead of --with-apxs)
>>

>> -1 on changing --with-apxs. "apxs" clearly and concisely describes the
>> function of the option. If it's too concise for some people, they can
just
>> do "./configure --help" to find out what it is for.
>
> Then how about changing the failure message from:
>
>      checking httpd version... configure: error: apache too old:  mmn
>      must be at least 20020903
>
> to:
>
>      checking httpd version... configure: error: apache too old:  mmn
>      must be at least 20020903, use --without-apxs to disable

Agreed - as you found out, I'd already proposed that later in my email.

> so that it is clear which configure option controls the test.
> (there is a similar message for the --with-apache option)

Except that *that* message never appears unless you explicitly
specify --with-apache, so recommending --without-apache is not necessary.

>>>     --disable-httpd
>>

>> -1. Absolutely not. The opposite of a --with- option is --without-, and
this
>> is standard across all autoconf-using projects.
>
> Except that in this case there are multiple --with options, so it
> is also "standard" to provide enable/disable options to disable a
> feature class, e.g. both the static and dynamic Apache modules in
> this case, so that you don't need to specify every --without under
> the sun.

But you don't.

--without-apache is the default, and --enable-mod-activation is irrelevant
unless apxs is being used. Therefore --without-apxs already provides a
single-option solution.

>> Let's just add a note to use --without-apxs to the "apache is too old"
>> error.
>
> That will work for me; it seems like --without-apxs bypasses all of
> the Apache stuff and allows me to build, so that solution works for
> me.

Right. I'll commit it.

Max.

Re: RFE: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 15:41, Michael Sweet wrote:
>      checking httpd version... configure: error: apache too old:  mmn
>      must be at least 20020903

Oh, is that the real issue?  Just make this be not-an-error if the user
didn't configure with an explicit --with-apxs.

Re: RFE: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Michael Sweet wrote:
> Greg Hudson wrote:
>> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 17:12, Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>>> I've just started testing 1.1.0rc2 and noticed that we still don't
>>> have a --disable-apache option
>>

>> We do not have a feature called "apache"; thus, it makes no sense to
>> disable it.  Configure options relating to building with or without
>> third-party packages should be with/without options.
>>
>> You say we have an existing --without-apache option, but I don't see one
>> in our configure help output.
>
> Excerpts from the 1.1.0rc2 configure help:
>
>    --disable-mod-activation
>                            Do not enable mod_dav_svn in httpd.conf
>    --with-apache=DIR       Build static Apache module. DIR is the path
> to the
>                            top-level Apache source directory.
>    --with-apxs[=FILE]      Build shared Apache module.  FILE is the
optional
>                            pathname to the Apache apxs tool; defaults to
> "apxs".
>
>> Note that Apache is the name of a foundation which happens to have, as
>> its most visible product, the Apache HTTP server.  It may be that
>> --with-apxs is a bad option name, but --with-apache is also imprecise.
>> --with-httpd or --with-apache-httpd would be acceptable.
>
> I am about to create a patch for this; which would you like to see?
>
> I could change them to:
>
>      --with-httpd-static (instead of --with-apache)
>      --with-httpd-dynamic (instead of --with-apxs)

-1 on changing --with-apxs. "apxs" clearly and concisely describes the
function of the option. If it's too concise for some people, they can just
do "./configure --help" to find out what it is for.

+0 on changing --with-apache, but I'd like to suggest --with-apache-srcdir.

>      --disable-httpd

-1. Absolutely not. The opposite of a --with- option is --without-, and this
is standard across all autoconf-using projects.

Let's just add a note to use --without-apxs to the "apache is too old"
error.

> Also, do you make any guarantees WRT configure options not changing?
> If so, I can mark the old --with options as deprecated in the help
> text and support both until 2.0?

I don't think we make any guarantees in this area (though we would obviously
try to minimize changes).

If we are only changing --with-apache -> --with-httpd-srcdir, then I imagine
that's not a widely used option, so we can probably get away with simply
changing it.

Max.

Re: RFE: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 17:12, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>>I've just started testing 1.1.0rc2 and noticed that we still don't
>>have a --disable-apache option
>

> We do not have a feature called "apache"; thus, it makes no sense to
> disable it.  Configure options relating to building with or without
> third-party packages should be with/without options.
>
> You say we have an existing --without-apache option, but I don't see one
> in our configure help output.

Excerpts from the 1.1.0rc2 configure help:

   --disable-mod-activation
                           Do not enable mod_dav_svn in httpd.conf
   --with-apache=DIR       Build static Apache module. DIR is the path
to the
                           top-level Apache source directory.
   --with-apxs[=FILE]      Build shared Apache module.  FILE is the optional
                           pathname to the Apache apxs tool; defaults to
"apxs".

> Note that Apache is the name of a foundation which happens to have, as
> its most visible product, the Apache HTTP server.  It may be that
> --with-apxs is a bad option name, but --with-apache is also imprecise.
> --with-httpd or --with-apache-httpd would be acceptable.

I am about to create a patch for this; which would you like to see?

I could change them to:

     --with-http-static (instead of --with-apache)
     --with-http-dynamic (instead of --with-apxs)

and add:

     --disable-httpd

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Re: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>I've just started testing 1.1.0rc2 and noticed that we still don't
>>have a --disable-apache option (you have to use --without-apache
>>--without-apxs --disable-mod-activation) which is necessary when
>>building Subversion on a system with an old version of Apache
>>installed.
>

> Hm? I build svn on Red Hat 9 (Apache 2.0.40 - definitely too old) and all I
> needed was --without-apxs.

Hmm, I'll try that.  Still, --without-apxs isn't exactly intuitive
when there is also a --without-apache option... :)

Re: --disable-apache configure option

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.