Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by tmarx <ma...@tapestryforums.com> on 2006/01/04 10:47:38 UTC

Finding the right breakpoints for debugging

What are the best break points for quickly debugging a tapestry application in general?

Has anyone got a quick summary of the interactions between the ServletContainer, Tapestry and Hivemind?

Tapestry receives a HTTP request from the Servlet Container,
does all the Tapestry internal stuff and returns an HTML response.

So I am sure the HTTP request receiption would be a good breakpoint
for the first step and the passing of the html response a good end point.

What about inside of Tapestry?

Which methods in which classes should I set the break points for checking:

- resolution of the page name
- reading of the page template
- looping through the components
- filling the page template with the data

I think if errors occur the following cases are possible and most likely (please add some more cases if you find some!)

- error reading a template
- error processing a template
- error reading data in general (connection issues, timeouts, "not-expected
silentlly-ignored-errors")
- error reading a component
- error processing a component

For every case I am looking for a debug point.....(in order to find out why my webapplication stalls)

Thanks!

Toby

Sent from www.TapestryForums.com

Read this topic online here: <<topic_link>>

http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=12644#12644

RE: Finding the right breakpoints for debugging

Posted by tmarx <ma...@tapestryforums.com>.
Found some UML diagrams now ;-)

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/3.0.3/doc/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.html

(3.0 but the overall workflows should be the same I guess)

http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=12699#12699

Re: Finding the right breakpoints for debugging

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Thursday 05 January 2006 16:32, tmarx wrote:
> Ok, one example.
>
> I was searching for the class where pageEndRender
> is called.
>
> However I could not find any class within the source code that
> actively calls it.
>
> Or am I blind?
>
> Thanks!
>

> -------------------- m2f --------------------
>
> Sent from www.TapestryForums.com
>
> Read this topic online here: <<topic_link>>
>
> http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=12709#12709
>
> -------------------- m2f --------------------

In Eclipse this is simple

Put a breakpoint in your pageEndRender routine and then look at the stack.  It
tells you from which source code line it was called from

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

RE: Finding the right breakpoints for debugging

Posted by tmarx <ma...@tapestryforums.com>.
It is hard to find the right classes
as there are so many abstract classes and you always need to find the implementation.

Actually I just need an overview or a more detailed UML sequence diagramm then the one from the UserGuide.

http://www.tapestryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=12694#12694

Re: Finding the right breakpoints for debugging

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 09:47, tmarx wrote:
> What are the best break points for quickly debugging a tapestry application
> in general?
>
> Has anyone got a quick summary of the interactions between the
> ServletContainer, Tapestry and Hivemind?
>
> Tapestry receives a HTTP request from the Servlet Container,
> does all the Tapestry internal stuff and returns an HTML response.
>
> So I am sure the HTTP request receiption would be a good breakpoint
> for the first step and the passing of the html response a good end point.
>
> What about inside of Tapestry?

My first reaction is to ask why?

If you are chasing a specific problem, then maybe - but in the first instance
don't you just want to let Tapestry get on with what it does without really
checking on it.  If it gets into a problem, it puts up a nice screen with
lots of debug information anyway.

If you concentrate on your applications interaction with the framework - so
Page Event Listeners, (and any other listenerers) seem to be good
breakpoints.  Sometimes instead of letting a property remain abstract,  I
make it a real routine and put breakpoints there.