Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/06/19 15:22:50 UTC

the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sending us the whole set of images based on the new logo!

Have you produced them (semi-)automatically? I'm contacting you because
I'm concerned with the images in the set being overcropped, so they
cannot be used as is and need to add some margin. But doing that manualy
to 25 images is a big pain. So if you have this automated, can you
please add a little margin to the original and redo the set?

Otherwise we probably need to use ImageMagic to do the work.

Sorry for troubling you.

Thanks!

Re: the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 22:31 21.06.2002, mike demers wrote:
>ok, i've put a bunch of buttons with different "mini-fonts" up for
>review.  there's four different pixel (aliased) fonts in various sizes
>as well as a few examples of antialiased fonts.  personally i think
>the antialiased fonts don't work at such a small size, but i thought
>i'd give it a shot anyways.

Thanks a lot mike, that's great work!

>otherwise, let me know if you prefer any of the ones i've posted and
>i'll do a final batch of them over the weekend and post them on
>monday (along with the realignment of the main logo file).

I think I prefer button-tahoma_aliased-00.gif or maybe
button-tahoma_aliased-33.gif. Let's see what others think.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
mike demers wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 14:54, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>>i do have a few other 'pixel' fonts that i can try.  as for the case,
>>>i went with all caps because the lowercase letters get really hard to
>>>read when they get that small.
>>
>>that's probably the only way to go. But may be there is some better
>>(slicker?) font, which reads better when the size is very small?
>>

>>>i'll take a whack at a few variations when i get home tonight and i'll
>>>put them up for a quick review before i go through the process of
>>>exporting all of them again.
>>
>>cool!
>>

> ok, i've put a bunch of buttons with different "mini-fonts" up for
> review.  there's four different pixel (aliased) fonts in various sizes
> as well as a few examples of antialiased fonts.  personally i think
> the antialiased fonts don't work at such a small size, but i thought
> i'd give it a shot anyways.
>
>   http://inteo.com/mike/mod_perl/
>
>   (note: the alignment of the font within the button may be a bit off,
>          i was just concerned with getting the new fonts in for review.
>          i'll make sure the final revision is better formatted.)
>
> these are all of the mini fonts that i have, but i'd be willing to
> try others if you know of any more.  also, i wasn't able to drop the
> case as none of the pixel fonts i used even had a lowercase available!
>
> otherwise, let me know if you prefer any of the ones i've posted and
> i'll do a final batch of them over the weekend and post them on
> monday (along with the realignment of the main logo file).

Thanks Mike!

There are three issues that I can see:

1) the string looks balanced (which aliased fonts solve the best), but
most of your other samples look surprisingly balanced too!

2) the color/size match. I believe that 'powered by' shouldn't overpower
"mod_perl". non of the grey shades overpowers the 'perl' part, so it's
only to decide what the ballance should be between the 'mod_' part and
the 'powered by' text. The 'mod_' part is already bolder than the text,
so it already stands out. So I think to me button-tahoma_aliased-66.gif
appeals the best for this issue.

3) the font match. I'm not sure if it's the best to use the same font
for all text strings. But if you agree with me then
button-standard-2.gif looks like the best choice, as aliased samples use
sharp curves, which are very different from the 'mod_perl' curves. Of
course that doesn't mean that they should much. I'm just trying to
analyze the criteria for doing the right choice.

Do you think along the same lines, or do you just try to pick what your
eyes like the best for the moment? While choosing remember that when
each of these logos is placed into a different context, it'll look a bit
different. So what looks slick now, may look quite not slick when put
next to different other fonts and images.

Re: the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Posted by mike demers <mi...@inteo.com>.
On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 14:54, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > i do have a few other 'pixel' fonts that i can try.  as for the case,
> > i went with all caps because the lowercase letters get really hard to
> > read when they get that small.
>
> that's probably the only way to go. But may be there is some better
> (slicker?) font, which reads better when the size is very small?
>
> > i'll take a whack at a few variations when i get home tonight and i'll
> > put them up for a quick review before i go through the process of
> > exporting all of them again.
>
> cool!

ok, i've put a bunch of buttons with different "mini-fonts" up for
review.  there's four different pixel (aliased) fonts in various sizes
as well as a few examples of antialiased fonts.  personally i think
the antialiased fonts don't work at such a small size, but i thought
i'd give it a shot anyways.

  http://inteo.com/mike/mod_perl/

  (note: the alignment of the font within the button may be a bit off,
         i was just concerned with getting the new fonts in for review.
         i'll make sure the final revision is better formatted.)

these are all of the mini fonts that i have, but i'd be willing to
try others if you know of any more.  also, i wasn't able to drop the
case as none of the pixel fonts i used even had a lowercase available!

otherwise, let me know if you prefer any of the ones i've posted and
i'll do a final batch of them over the weekend and post them on
monday (along with the realignment of the main logo file).

::md

Mike Demers                                          130 Middle Street
CTO, Inteo                                          Portland, ME 04101
http://www.inteo.com                                      207 553.2260

Re: the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
mike demers wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 12:34, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I've reviewed the set again and I feel that the following subsets are
>>overcropped:
>>
>>button-text-outlined-* (because the black border actually steals from
>>the margin)
>>
>>mod_perl-final-* - this subset is my main complain because:
>>
>>1) it's overcropped as i mentioned before
>>2) the gear placement looks very misbalanced white space-wise. Adding a
>>bit of a white margin around and may be lowering the gear a bit down, to
>>align it to center vertically will make it perfect.
>

> yeah, i played with that a bit before.  the lowercase letters make it
> a bit tricky to get a good 'balance'.  i'll try to come up with a
> better alignment.

just ballance the gear around the vertical space. will this work?

>>How much to add? I don't know, just a bit, you know what I mean. e.g.
>>button-110x30 looks pretty ballanced (though again the gear could go
>>just a bit lower) and has enough margin. Regarding color and the
>>transparency, it's the same as the used background, nothing special.
>

> aha.  i thought you were referring to the part of the image outside of
> the border.  my bad, this makes more sense now.  i'll try to insert
> some more whitespace and tweak the alignment a bit.  the lowercase 'p'
> really throws everything off, but i suppose that's non-negotiable ;-)

;)

>>BTW, for the text-* buttons, is there a better font for 'POWERED BY'? it
>>doesn't look very slick. May be using 'Powered by' will be neater? or a
>>different family font?
>

> i do have a few other 'pixel' fonts that i can try.  as for the case,
> i went with all caps because the lowercase letters get really hard to
> read when they get that small.

that's probably the only way to go. But may be there is some better
(slicker?) font, which reads better when the size is very small?

> i'll take a whack at a few variations when i get home tonight and i'll
> put them up for a quick review before i go through the process of
> exporting all of them again.

cool!

>>sorry for that many complaints :)
>

> let's call it constructive criticism ;-)

;)

Re: the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Posted by mike demers <mi...@inteo.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
> Sorry for troubling you.

no trouble at all.

Thanks for that Mike.  I hope you don't mind my passing your email address
onto Stas?

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG
http://wypug.pm.org

Re: the margin of the mod_perl logos set

Posted by mike demers <mi...@inteo.com>.
On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 09:22, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for sending us the whole set of images based on the new logo!

no problem. in fact, i should apologize for taking so long to make them.

> Have you produced them (semi-)automatically? I'm contacting you because
> I'm concerned with the images in the set being overcropped, so they
> cannot be used as is and need to add some margin. But doing that manualy
> to 25 images is a big pain. So if you have this automated, can you
> please add a little margin to the original and redo the set?

is it the button images that you think need more margin?  i actually
cropped those down intentionally after looking at how some of the
more popular buttons were done (ie, blogger, paypal, etc).  all of
them were cropped right to the border of the button so that's what i
did.  however, i can easily generate new images with a margin if you
think they'll work better.  i'll just need to know what type of margin
you're looking for (width, color or transparent, etc.).

> Otherwise we probably need to use ImageMagic to do the work.
>
> Sorry for troubling you.

no trouble at all.