Posted to user@trafodion.apache.org by "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <mi...@esgyn.cn> on 2016/04/01 16:57:13 UTC

答复: 答复: 答复: add a comment to a table

Hi, Gunnar,

Yes, extend showddl will be a very good way to retrieve comments. QiFan is proposing to write a UDF, Oracle seems to provide a system table with comments, and user have to write a query to search in that system table.
Showddl will be a nice way, so we can add that capability as well.
I will update the jira and record this.

We can discuss more about the implementation and design in the JIRA. It is TRAFODION-1915.

Thanks,
Ming

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
Thanks Ming for creating the JIRA.

There is a bit of work required to add this feature as Qifan pointed out
but overall fairly straight forward to implement.

It would be a good project for someone who wants to understand how
Trafodion DDL is implemented.

I have added some comments to the JIRA with my thoughts.

     Roberta

*发件人**:* Gunnar Tapper [mailto:tapper.gunnar@gmail.com
<ta...@gmail.com>]

*发件人**:* Qifan Chen [mailto:qifan.chen@esgyn.com]
*发送时间**:* 2016年4月1日 18:31
*收件人**:* user@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
*主题**:* Re: 答复: add a comment to a table

The implementation probably will be involving the following:

   1. add a new type for column TEXT_TYPE in meta-table
   TRAFODION."_MD_".TEXT, say COMMENT_TYPE;
   2. allow COMMENT ON syntax in the parser;
   3. convert the content of COMMENT ON stmt into insertion/update of a
   row(s) in the TEXT meta-data table for the SQL object in question;
   4. write a UDF to show the comment easily for a SQL object, by hiding
   the join of the meta-data TEXT and OBJECTS table.

The task may be a little bit involving :-).

Thanks  --Qifan

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Liu, Ming (Ming) <mi...@esgyn.cn> wrote:

Shall we file a JIRA to track this requirement?

Thanks,

Ming

*发件人**:* Suresh Subbiah [mailto:suresh.subbiah60@gmail.com]
*发送时间**:* 2016年4月1日 11:54