Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Andrew Francis <aa...@omnimark.com> on 1998/08/26 14:11:17 UTC

config/2905: Apache compiled with DSO support does not start - says cannot find ./libhttpd.sl

>Number:         2905
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Apache compiled with DSO support does not start - says cannot find ./libhttpd.sl
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I compile Apache 1.3.1 with DSO support under HPUX 10.20, httpd does not
start, complaining that it cannot find ./libhttpd.sl. When I make a symbolic link to libhttpd.so
in the libexec/ directory, Apache works. I configure Apache with --enable-rule=
SHARED_CORE --enable-shared = max --enable-module = most. Also setting the
shared library path does not seem to help.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try compiling with the same configure options and use the HPUX cc compiler.
>Fix:
I have noticed some problems in the HPUX build. For instance in http_main,
the shared library environment variable varname is set to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
According to the ld man page, the HPUX dynamic loader uses LPATH (and according
to online searches, SHLIB_PATH). Also the HPUX loader expects shared libraries
to have the extension .sl, not .so. This is probably why it is complaining
about not being able to find libhttpd.sl (as opposed to libhttpd.sl). I changed
the extension for libhttpd in the Makefile.