Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)" <Ro...@lexisnexis.com> on 2013/11/14 16:14:09 UTC

libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

So apparently the v2.2-beta apache Hadoop 2.2 tar file no longer contains 64bit version of libhdfs as reported here: (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9911).
Does anybody know if there are any plans to include the 64bit libs in the distribution? Any ideas where to search for future packaging plans? Thanks.

BTW I know we can build the lib myself, but users of apps that link libhdfs most likely won’t want to build the libs…

Thanks, Rodrigo.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only
for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or
work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and
that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and
delete the original message.

FW: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by "Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)" <Ro...@lexisnexis.com>.
Happy new year bigtop developers.
I'm looking for release information for bigtop 0.8.0 such as dates Hadoop versions and distros. I looked around but couldn't find it.
Also, is there an early release version I can use to test? Thanks!

Thanks, Rodrigo.

RE: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

RE: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

RE: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Re: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

RE: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by "Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)" <Ro...@lexisnexis.com>.
Thanks Roman.
Our app won't be able to impose any particular vendor's distribution upon our users. We grew dependent on base apache distribution packages w/ the 64bit builds... so is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9911 going to be rejected? In other words, are there no plans to bring back the 64bit libs?

Also, since you mentioned the Bigtop distros, the last time I looked at them, they were lagging a little behind in terms of distros supported. Do you know where to get info on their plans for distro support and/or when they'll add support for Hadoop 2.x? thanks.

Thanks, Rodrigo.

> So apparently the v2.2-beta apache Hadoop 2.2 tar file no longer
> contains 64bit version of libhdfs as reported here:
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9911).
>
> Does anybody know if there are any plans to include the 64bit libs in
> the distribution? Any ideas where to search for future packaging plans? Thanks.

For packaging needs you can either pick Bigtop distribution for your favorite Linux system, or pick the distro of one of the vendors. That will have all the native libraries built *exactly* for the OS you have.

The reason native bits are hard to manage as part of Hadoop release process is that you actually would have to build them on a the lowest common denominator of Linux OSes (CentOS 5 perhaps) to have a passing chance of being compatible. And even then I've seen things like libssl break compatibility (which is not surprising since at this point there are deployment of Hadoop on Linux distros that are more than 7 years apart).

Thanks,
Roman.

RE: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

Posted by "Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)" <Ro...@lexisnexis.com>.