Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com> on 2003/02/12 18:28:52 UTC

Re: (OT): Re: [Jelly] Functional Jelly Redux, was Re: Jelly and X++

On 2/12/03 11:52 AM, eprice@ptc.com wrote:

> Hey Todd, thanks for writing this up.  I've heard of FP before and
> others have explained it but this one really cinched it for me.  (Or
> maybe I was just ready to understand it this time.)

I'm glad to have been useful!  :-)

> I don't know if it qualifies as a "functional programming language", but
> I've just recently learned that Python treats functions as first class
> objects which can be declared anonymously and passed around as any other
> value.  It is also a respectable OO scripting language in its own right.
>
> I think it lets you take a FP paradigm approach but does not require it
> of you.

Yeah, Python is one of those mixed-paradigm languages.  I'm sure Python
lovers would be able to write in detail about how first-class functions are
useful.  Thanks for bringing up a great example.

.T.

--
                 War is NOT a necessity!

  http://UnitedForPeace.org/    http://MoveOn.org/