Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "wanglei2@geekplus.com.cn" <wa...@geekplus.com.cn> on 2020/05/09 08:46:28 UTC

Is there any difference between conflunt kafka and apache kafka?

I want to know if there's any difference between apache kafka and the open sourced confluent kafka ?

Thanks,
Lei

wanglei2@geekplus.com.cn

Re: Is there any difference between conflunt kafka and apache kafka?

Posted by Blake Miller <bl...@gmail.com>.
I will chip in my 2c here as we use open source Kafka stuff in production,
and we use some of the Confluent and community additions.

Thus far we have not paid for anything other than cloud metal.

The Confluent team seems super legit to me. They are making a lot of useful
stuff freely available to the community. I think the Kafka they distribute
is just vanilla Apache Kafka. That is, they do not patch the broker code
just for "Confluent Kafka". They add things atop Kafka: the schema
registry, Kafka Connect, KSQL... and most interesting for our purposes, the
Kafka Streams java library (which is open source).

I would recommend using their stuff because:

1) there is no vendor lock-in that I can spot (you can go on using only the
free parts indefinitely)
2) these extra Confluent things are potentially quite useful

It might be a little more convenient, too. You would be in good company
running the confluent suite of kafka-related stuff.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Sure we agree to differ.

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Steve.

Also, it’s worth reading Jay’s PR last year regarding confluent community
licence.

Regards,

Posted by Steven Miller <st...@idrathernotsay.com>.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey LeiWang,

On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 09:46, wanglei2@geekplus.com.cn <
wanglei2@geekplus.com.cn> wrote:

> I want to know if there's any difference between apache kafka and the open
> sourced confluent kafka ?
>

> Thanks,
> Lei

If you visit confluent website, it’s pretty well summarised using 3
different licensing schemes (confluent community/apache/commercial).

I think that info will help you learn more.

Regards,