Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Chandra <ch...@rwth-aachen.de> on 2017/04/10 05:50:04 UTC

Max index limit in DefaultRolloverStrategy

Hi guys,

Something I noticed in my production, the maximum limit of index (i.e., the max #files to be rolled before an overwrite occurs) is 7 by default.
This is not mentioned anywhere in any of the documentation. I was only able to confirm this by actually looking into the source code [1].  Unfortunately, by the time we noticed there was  huge data loss.

I wanted to confirm:
 * Why is the default max index set to 7? I was naive to think that the default max index would be set to a large value (may be no max index at all, perhaps)
 * Why wasn’t this mentioned anywhere in the documentation (if it is, can you point me to it. may be I wasn’t paying attention). If it happened to me, perhaps it might for others.

Best,
Chandra

[1] https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/log4j-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core/appender/rolling/DefaultRolloverStrategy.java#L126

Re: Max index limit in DefaultRolloverStrategy

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
FYI - the documentation for the web site is in the project at src/site/xdoc/manual.  You can create a patch for that the same way you would patch any of the java source.

Ralph

Posted by Chandra <ch...@rwth-aachen.de>.
Hi Gary,

From: