Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Michael Han <ha...@apache.org> on 2018/09/19 23:17:06 UTC

About Jenkins pre-commit job

We've seen lots of confusions recently around Jenkins pre-commit check
status on github pull request as well as questions like how to trigger
Jenkins job to get a green build. I added a section "Jenkins Pre-commit
Check" to our wiki page about this matter:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToContribute

I suspect the permission issue is about the fact that apache zookeeper
github is read only for most of us including committers. Only asfbot has
write access. When a Jenkins job is triggered through "Rebuild" button the
credential it's using is not asfbot thus the final job result will fail to
write back to github. I don't know how to solve this, but hopefully we have
workarounds (which though require PR creator to be more diligent on
obtaining a green build).

Michael.

Re: About Jenkins pre-commit job

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
All done, will send a new email with a clean recap

Enrico

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il ven 21 set 2018, 22:53 Michael Han <ha...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> >> It is the default config, I can drop. In BK sometimes it is useful in
> order to save resources for docs/website changes for instance
>
> We have separate repo for ZK web site and our doc artifacts only
> regenerate when we do a new release. So I think there is not much benefit
> of keeping this option, as we always want Jenkins as the gate before
> committing any code changes.

Ok, will drop

> >> But it seems to me that the 'Jenkins' line never goes green nor red,
> it stays yellow forever
>
> I see what you mean. I think "*Jenkins *Pending — Jenkins is validating
> pull request ..." should be removed, as it's not telling anything new. I
> don't know how though.

I can't find any hook anywhere, in CI, in precommit bash scripts/ant targets

Does anyone has an explanation?
Maybe it is an asf infra configuration

Enrico

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Il ven 21 set 2018, 19:11 Michael Han <ha...@apache.org> ha scritto:
>>
>> > Thanks for the work, Enrico! Looks like it's working?

>> > run from jenkins
>> >
>> > Do we need this option?
>> >

>> It is the default config, I can drop. In BK sometimes it is useful in
>> order
>> to save resources for docs/website changes for instance

>> > configurations
>> >
>> > jenkins job config is stored in the job itself. We don't version control
>> > it separately.
>> > With this update the "Jenkins" section is out of date:
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToContribute
>> > Would you please update the page to reflect latest state of the jenkins
>> -
>> > github integration?
>> >

>> Ok

>> > Seems ok to me to keep two lines. The second line does not cover things
>> > other than test (like find bug checks, release audit checks, etc).
>> >

>> TheI job execution is one, so the informative content is the same: red vs
>> green.
>>
>> But it seems to me that the 'Jenkins' line never goes green nor red, it
>> stays yellow forever
>>

>> Enrico

>> this

>> start
>> >> >>>

>> https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-ZOOKEEPER-github-pr-build/configure

>> this:

>> this.

>> https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-ZOOKEEPER-github-pr-build/

>> "Rebuild"

>> and

>> port

>> > --
>>

>> -- Enrico Olivelli
>>

> --

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: About Jenkins pre-commit job

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> > If all it is okay I will send a new clean summary in another email
>> thread
>> > The short version is:
>> > - an user sends a PR (against master, branch-3.5 and branch-3.4)> CI
>> kicks in an validates, on GitHub you see the status and the results
>> > - an "Apache Committer" (from any project I guess, as I am not a ZK
>> committer but it works, it is important that he is registered in Apache
>> Gihub 'organization') can add a comment with only this phrase 'retest this
>> please' and the PR will be re-validated from CI
>> > - if the description of the PR contains 'skip ci' validation won't be
>> run from jenkins
>> >
>> > configuration is here:
>> > https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-ZOOKEEPER-github-pr-build/
>> >

>> > Please tell me if there is any doc/wiki to update and if there is a
>> common place for storing CI Jobs configurations

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: About Jenkins pre-commit job

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.