Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Markus Stier <ma...@stegmannsystems.com> on 2011/12/14 11:28:48 UTC

Clarify relation between GPL and Apache license

Hi!

There are currently (at least) two places which address the compatibility between GPL 2.x and the Apache license 2.0.
At  http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#GPL<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html%23GPL&usg=AFQjCNH02TOYbzl_XyBrUqHyzHRv1PHsMQ>, ASF states that both licenses are compatible. This is misleading or even incorrect.

According to http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html&usg=AFQjCNEBUqUHJUJGs0TrdrzyurFkaPnaMQ>, the Apache 2.0 license is only compatible to GPL >= 2.x if the GPLed
software uses Apache'd libraries but not vice versa. This seems to be the more appropriate statement.

I suggest that the FAQ page should be updated.

Best

Markus

Re: Clarify relation between GPL and Apache license

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Le 14 déc. 2011 à 12:47, Markus Stier a écrit :
>> Q: Is the Apache license compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?
>> A: Although the Free Software Foundation website indicates a rather strong
>> incompatibility, the answer to this question boils down to one of the two
>> following questions:
>
> Why "strong incompatibility"? There is an incompatibility with GPL version 2, which is resolved in GPL 3.
> Since most GPL libraries are licensed with "GPL version 2 or later" this should not be an issue.

I never understood this incompatibility which has always appeared to assume from a reader such as me that licensing everything in one viral license is the aim at the end of the day. This aim is not realizable, period.

So I disagree it depends on the GPL version. Many products have been released under GPL 2.1 with linkages to software Apache Public License and do not worry of such an incompatibility.

But then, I know it has been stated differently in different places so I'm ok if your FAQ formulation is better than mine.
Both would be a lot better than what is currently there (which basically says "if you want to listen and worry about FSF's licenses, here's what they say)".

paul

AW: AW: Clarify relation between GPL and Apache license

Posted by Markus Stier <ma...@stegmannsystems.com>.
Paul,

see below...

> Markus,
>
> I would suggest you open a jira issue about this with a suggestion for a FAQ
> change.
> I read a completely different answer to the question in the FAQ (a citation of
> the FSF's point of view), this sounds weird..
>
> I would suggest:
>
> Q: Is the Apache license compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?
> A: Although the Free Software Foundation website indicates a rather strong
> incompatibility, the answer to this question boils down to one of the two
> following questions:

Why "strong incompatibility"? There is an incompatibility with GPL version 2, which is resolved in GPL 3.
Since most GPL libraries are licensed with "GPL version 2 or later" this should not be an issue.

I would suggest:
 Q: Is the Apache license compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?
 A: It depends on the GPL version and the usage scenario.
 The answer to this question boils down to one of the two
 following questions:

> Q: Can I license my software under the Apache Public License if it links to
> software under the GNU Public License
> A:  No. The GNU Public License requires any software linked to a software
> under the GNU Public License to be under the same license.

OK

> Q: Can I license my software under the GNU Public License if it links to a
> component under the Apache Public License?
> A: Yes. Nothing of both licenses prevent this.
>   Note that it still means that the attributions of the softwares under the two
> different licenses will be required.

I'd suggest:

Q: Can I license my software under the GNU Public License if it links to a
component under the Apache Public License?
A: Yes, if you use GPL version 3. Nothing of both licenses prevent this.

Re: AW: Clarify relation between GPL and Apache license

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Markus,

I would suggest you open a jira issue about this with a suggestion for a FAQ change.
I read a completely different answer to the question in the FAQ (a citation of the FSF's point of view), this sounds weird..

I would suggest:

Q: Is the Apache license compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?
A: Although the Free Software Foundation website indicates a rather strong incompatibility, the answer to this question boils down to one of the two following questions:

Q: Can I license my software under the Apache Public License if it links to software under the GNU Public License
A:  No. The GNU Public License requires any software linked to a software under the GNU Public License to be under the same license.

Q: Can I license my software under the GNU Public License if it links to a component under the Apache Public License?
A: Yes. Nothing of both licenses prevent this.

Posted by Markus Stier <ma...@stegmannsystems.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Markus,

could you please describe your compatibility definition?

That whole discussion, and ping pong among FSF and ASF about it, leads me to think that compatibility should just not be mentioned.
The true questions would be, for example "Can I license my software under GPL if linking to an ASF library?"

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 December 2011 11:12, Markus Stier
<ma...@stegmannsystems.com> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >

>> > There are currently (at least) two places which address the
>> > compatibility between GPL 2.x and the Apache license 2.0.
>> >
>> > At  http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#GPL, ASF states
>> > that both licenses are compatible. This is misleading or even incorrect.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you wanted to tell me.

I think he meant that the cited ASF page quotes the FSF - i.e. the ASF
is not making a statement about compatibility here, merely quoting the
FSF.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@links.org>.
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Markus Stier
<ma...@stegmannsystems.com> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >

>> > There are currently (at least) two places which address the
>> > compatibility between GPL 2.x and the Apache license 2.0.
>> >
>> > At  http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#GPL, ASF states
>> > that both licenses are compatible. This is misleading or even incorrect.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you wanted to tell me.

It says the Apache Licence is _not_ compatible with GPL2.

Posted by Markus Stier <ma...@stegmannsystems.com>.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@links.org>.
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Markus Stier