Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2008/01/23 16:40:49 UTC

Tomcat vs Jetty6

Any one have any recommendations on using Tomcat vs Jetty6? I need to
migrate 40 publications to our latest from the October build with
included Jetty I've been using. I want AJP proxying, so that's why I
would need to go with Jetty6. I've gone through the work to get Tomcat
up and running on a different machine for a different project, so that
isn't a reason to stay away.

Any opinions or experiences either way?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Tomcat vs Jetty6

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Richard,

Richard Frovarp schrieb:
> Any one have any recommendations on using Tomcat vs Jetty6? I need to
> migrate 40 publications to our latest from the October build with
> included Jetty I've been using. I want AJP proxying, so that's why I
> would need to go with Jetty6. I've gone through the work to get Tomcat
> up and running on a different machine for a different project, so that
> isn't a reason to stay away.
>
> Any opinions or experiences either way?

I have no experience with Jetty in production (only on our zones
server), but I have very good experiences with Tomcat. Our company
website authoring environment (Lenya 2.0.1-dev) runs in Tomcat (I think
it's 6.0.14) and we didn't notice any problems yet. All customers that
I'm aware of also run Tomcat.

If you want to be sure about the performance, you could run some load
tests (on the same machine with the same memory settings for both
servlet engines).

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Tomcat vs Jetty6

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Any one have any recommendations on using Tomcat vs Jetty6? I need to
> migrate 40 publications to our latest from the October build with
> included Jetty I've been using. I want AJP proxying, so that's why I
> would need to go with Jetty6. I've gone through the work to get Tomcat
> up and running on a different machine for a different project, so that
> isn't a reason to stay away.
>
> Any opinions or experiences either way?

i did a very unscientific comparison of our old jetty vs. the
then-current tomcat some time ago, and found jetty to be faster and
slimmer...
i think when you have an apache in front anyways, you're better off
using jetty in terms of resource usage. but then, my only production
machine atm is veeeeery low traffic and has had a maximum of 2-3
concurrent editors.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.