Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/09 09:47:30 UTC

Re: svn.exe crashes in libapr.dll when performing a checkout on specific set of data.

On 9/23/06, D.J. Heap <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/06, zzzz4 <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > FYI
> >
> > I'm also getting a crash in a similar situation: a recursive checkout
> > from the root path crashes, but checkouts of subdirectories complete
> > normally.
> >
> > This has started since:
> > svn, version 1.4.0 (r21228)
> >    compiled Sep 11 2006, 17:46:59
> >
> > I have a DrWatson log if you need it...
> > --
> > zzzz4
>

> Can you provide more information?  What version is the server running?
>  What protocol (http/https/svn)?  If you are running Apache, what
> version of Apache and can you post your Apache configuration?  Can you
> provide the repository for testing with?
>
> Thanks!
>
> DJ

One of user reported me very similiar problem during svn export. It
fails on big tree with following stack trace:
libapriconv.dll!apr_iconv_ces_open(const char * cesname=0x00af02f0,
iconv_ces * * cespp=0x00b2f874, apr_pool_t * ctx=0x00b2fe20) Line 61 +
0x2b C
libapriconv.dll!iconv_uc_open(const char * to=0x00af02f0, const char *
from=0x00af02f8, void * * data=0x0012f68c, apr_pool_t *
ctx=0x00af0060) Line 41 + 0xf C
libapriconv.dll!apr_iconv_open(const char * to=0x00b31fe0, const char
* from=0x0012f8c4, apr_pool_t * ctx=0x77f470e4, void * *
res=0x77f4725c) Line 88 + 0x10 C
libaprutil.dll!check_sbcs(apr_xlate_t * convset=0x00000000) Line 183 + 0x12 C
kernel32.dll!77e49325()
ntdll.dll!77f5109c()
ntdll.dll!77f50fdd()
ntdll.dll!77f45275()

The same workaround helps (copying libapr.dll from TSVN). My idea that
there are some conflicts with TSVN iconv (which is build using
vs2005), now I've asked that user to test without TSVN installed.

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: svn.exe crashes in libapr.dll when performing a checkout on specific set of data.

Posted by Stefan Küng <to...@gmail.com>.
Martin Hauner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/9/06, Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> [snip]
>>> The same workaround helps (copying libapr.dll from TSVN). My idea that
>>> there are some conflicts with TSVN iconv (which is build using
>>> vs2005), now I've asked that user to test without TSVN installed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ivan Zhakov
>>
>> Hmm, yes, since apr-iconv uses an environment variable for its path,
>> and TSVN uses a different apr-iconv, if we're picking up TSVN's
>> apr-iconv then there is definitely a potential for problems.  Is there
>> any other way to specify a path for apr-iconv besides an environment
>> variable?  We probably need to keep multiple copies private to the
>> installation they are for.
>
> In Subcommander I use a small patch to apr-iconv to solve this issue.
> It first looks for an iconv folder in the same place where the binary
> is installed (in this case the iconv dll) before looking at APR_ICONV_PATH.
>
> http://subcommander.tigris.org/source/browse/subcommander/trunk/doc/apr-iconv.patch?rev=265&view=markup

TSVN uses almost the same patch for apr-iconv. I've also sent that patch
to the apr dev mailing list, explaining why using the APR_ICONV_PATH env
variable is desasterous. But as with most of my patches, they get
ignored. So I keep using my patched version of apr-iconv because I don't
like having problems because of it.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apr-dev&m=111219823714841&w=2

In short, the patch to apr-iconv makes sure that TSVN uses it's own
libraries - only if they get deleted or are for some unknown reason not
accessible, it falls back to using the APR_ICONV_PATH variable.

And with version 1.4.0, TSVN even has renamed the apr libraries to
libaprxxx_tsvn.dll to get out of the dll-hell for good.

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: svn.exe crashes in libapr.dll when performing a checkout on specific set of data.

Posted by Martin Hauner <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

"D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/06, Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > [snip]
> > The same workaround helps (copying libapr.dll from TSVN). My idea that
> > there are some conflicts with TSVN iconv (which is build using
> > vs2005), now I've asked that user to test without TSVN installed.
> >
> > --
> > Ivan Zhakov
>

> Hmm, yes, since apr-iconv uses an environment variable for its path,
> and TSVN uses a different apr-iconv, if we're picking up TSVN's
> apr-iconv then there is definitely a potential for problems.  Is there
> any other way to specify a path for apr-iconv besides an environment
> variable?  We probably need to keep multiple copies private to the
> installation they are for.

In Subcommander I use a small patch to apr-iconv to solve this issue.
It first looks for an iconv folder in the same place where the binary
is installed (in this case the iconv dll) before looking at APR_ICONV_PATH.

http://subcommander.tigris.org/source/browse/subcommander/trunk/doc/apr-iconv.patch?rev=265&view=markup

--
Martin

Subcommander 1.2.0, http://subcommander.tigris.org
a cross platform Win32/Unix/MacOSX subversion gui client & diff/merge tool.

Re: svn.exe crashes in libapr.dll when performing a checkout on specific set of data.

Posted by Jody Shumaker <jo...@gmail.com>.
> Update on this topic: TortoiseSVN uninstallation doesn't fix problem.

Also, I stated that using the tsvn libapr.dll only caused it to fail
on a different directory in my repository, it only seemed to change
the dataset tha caused it but the same problem exists.

- Jody

Re: svn.exe crashes in libapr.dll when performing a checkout on specific set of data.

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.