Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Jun-Liang Chen <jl...@intumit.com> on 2000/08/01 10:39:12 UTC

internationlization

Dear All,

        After making the sample.addressbook working, I played around with it by adding some name
 in the Hashtable and some chinese characters in it. Also, I put some print statements in Address.java
 like below,

 public String toString()
  {

    System.err.println(" streetname = " + streetName );   //  <---
    System.err.println(" city       = " + city       );    //   <--
    return streetNum + " " + streetName + "\n" +
           city + ", " + state + " " + zip + "\n" +
           phoneNumber;
}

Then I ran the case and it turned out the output on server side giving correct character type I wanted but on
client side displaying ??????????-like . Any explainations or suggestions?  Thanks!

Jun-Liang Chen
jlchen@intumit.com

RE: internationlization

Posted by Steven McDowall <sj...@aptest.com>.
Alas, the current version of xml-soap is NOT very I18N compliant.. well, ok,
it isn't at all. :-(

At this time, there is really nothing you can do, unless you want to fix it
up :-)

I am planning (this week) on creating a Java Servlet which takes care of
some of the problems..
at least, on the response end, but that doesn't help the client portion
yet..

Someone (and I have it archived) published a nice TODO of the things that
needs fixing to make it
pretty I18N, and if I have some spare time after the Servlet I will start
doing those..

In the mean time, if you want the changes ASAP, you can get your CVS tree
created and make sure
you can build the latest soap from the XML Repository .. :-)

-Steve

RE: internationlization