Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Taqdees Malik <ta...@hotmail.com> on 2008/01/12 20:27:50 UTC

can access the repositry thru url in apache

Hi,
  I'm trying to set up subversion repository on my local machine to learn the ins and outs of subversion. I was able to create the repository with subversion 1.4.6 and check out the files using command prompt. Then I installed apache, one of the 2.x versions and got it up and running. I tested apache using the http://localhost/ in the browser and got the "It Works" in the the browser. Then I modified the httpd.conf file according to documentation and added the three lines in there.

LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.soLoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so

<Location /repos>  DAV svn  SVNPath c:\svnreposnew</Location>

I started apache which comes up fine. Now I type http://localhost/ repos/StdCare in the url but I get page not found. StdCare is my project name. I'm really stuck at this point. Does any one have an idea of what might be wrong. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,-Taqdees
Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008

RE: can access the repositry thru url in apache

Posted by "Harvey, Edward" <Ed...@patni.com>.
I'm not looking too closely at exactly what you did (don't feel much
like applying my brain this morning.)  But I have a procedure written
for myself, to install & configure svn over apache on windows.  Please
feel free to look it over and see what's different about what you did.
If you're still stuck, of course, continue the conversation.  ;-)

[...]

________________________________

Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista(r) + Windows
Live(tm). Start now!
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_
TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008>

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.

Re: can access the repositry thru url in apache

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <ry...@macports.org>.
On Jan 12, 2008, at 14:42, Kevin Grover wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2008 12:27 PM, Taqdees Malik wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up subversion repository on my local machine to
>> learn the ins and outs of subversion. I was able to create the
>> repository with subversion 1.4.6 and check out the files using
>> command prompt. Then I installed apache, one of the 2.x versions
>> and got it up and running. I tested apache using the http://
>> localhost/ in the browser and got the "It Works" in the the
>> browser. Then I modified the httpd.conf file according to
>> documentation and added the three lines in there.
>>
>> LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
>> LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
>>
>> <Location /repos>
>>   DAV svn
>>   SVNPath c:\svnreposnew
>> </Location>
>>
>> I started apache which comes up fine. Now I type http://localhost/
>> repos/StdCare in the url but I get page not found. StdCare is my
>> project name. I'm really stuck at this point. Does any one have an
>> idea of what might be wrong. Any help is appreciated.
>
> What OS version?
> Have you checked the Apache log files (for messages/errors)?
> Are the SVN Modules loading OK? (see #2)
> Where (in your file system) is the repository?  The SVNPath points
> to the directory that HOLDs the repositories.  For example, I use
> 'c:\repos\svn' as a parent directory and create all repositories in
> there.  'svnadmin create c:\repos\svn\ProjectFoo', 'svnadmin create
> c:\repos\svn\ProjectBar', so I'd point SVNPath to 'c:\repos\svn'.

Incorrect. SVNPath needs to point AT the repository. If you want to
point at a directory that contains other repositories, you would use
SVNParentPanth.

> What user is Apache running as? Do they have read (and write?)
> access to the files holding the repository?  NOTE: On Windows, is
> probably not the problem.
> From your SVNPath, you appear to be running a windows variant.  If
> you install Apache _before_ installing Subversion (command line
> client), the svn cli will see Apache and install the .so files for
> you (at least it used to a long time ago..)  [The modules must be
> in the correct place, or you must refer to them by explicit path]
> Did you RTFM?  The manual is a good resource http://svnbook.red-
> bean.com/

In an httpd.conf, slashes should be forward slashes, even on Windows.
So you need:

SVNPath c:/svnreposnew

Re: can access the repositry thru url in apache

Posted by Kevin Grover <ke...@kevingrover.net>.
   1. What OS version?
   2. Have you checked the Apache log files (for messages/errors)?
   3. Are the SVN Modules loading OK? (see #2)
   4. Where (in your file system) is the repository?  The SVNPath points
   to the directory that HOLDs the repositories.  For example, I use
   'c:\repos\svn' as a parent directory and create all repositories in there.
   'svnadmin create c:\repos\svn\ProjectFoo', 'svnadmin create
   c:\repos\svn\ProjectBar', so I'd point SVNPath to 'c:\repos\svn'.
   5. What user is Apache running as? Do they have read (and write?)
   access to the files holding the repository?  NOTE: On Windows, is probably
   not the problem.
   6. From your SVNPath, you appear to be running a windows variant.  If
   you install Apache _before_ installing Subversion (command line client), the
   svn cli will see Apache and install the .so files for you (at least it used
   to a long time ago..)  [The modules must be in the correct place, or you
   must refer to them by explicit path]
   7. Did you RTFM?  The manual is a good resource
   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/