Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by amol <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/05 08:42:58 UTC

webroot folder different than web app folder. possible?

I have got the following folder structure in tomcat around my web
application:

-bin
-webapps
    -myapplication
        -myapplicationwwwroot
            -gifs
            -index.html
            -...etc
        -web-inf
            -lib
            -classes
            -parameters
-work
-...( etc )

my problem is the following :
i want to provide a "quick installation" in which the user ( sys admin )
would use the tomcat's web server itself and not connect to any Apache or
IIS or anything like that.
but this wont be a viable solution incase the user wants to actually deploy
the application for heavy use. (  or would it be? )
in that case, he will have to connect Apache or IIS and in that, he would
need to specify the root folder for the site. my problem is that i cant make
him specify the entire 'myappliaction' folder as the root folder because the
web-inf then becomes visible to the outside world which i dont want.
and if he makes myapplicationwwwroot as the default root, my relative paths
change and he'll have to edit some parameter file for that.
one way is to make him create a "dummy" folder in which he can put the
"myapplicationwwwroot" folder. but then, the app wont work with tomcat's web
server.

is there any way to keep the folder structure same and let the user use
either tomcat's web server or apache or IIS as and when he wants?
in tomcat, can tomcat web servers root directory be explicitly specified for
a particular web application?

thnx
amol

Re: webroot folder different than web app folder. possible?

Posted by amol <ma...@yahoo.com>.
> It *must* be "WEB-INF" (all upper case)
yeah..it *is* WEB-INF.
dont take the lower case in the mail soo seriously. i have typed all that
manually. -:)
any comments on the *real* problem?
the stuff is working peacefully right now on tomcat. i am new to
tomcat/apache and even this web apps specification thing and am looking for
some inputs which would help me come out with a good deployment strategy.

thnx
amol

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, amol wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 13:12:58 +0530
> From: amol <ma...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: webroot folder different than web app folder. possible?
>
> I have got the following folder structure in tomcat around my web
> application:
>
> -bin
> -webapps
>     -myapplication
>         -myapplicationwwwroot
>             -gifs
>             -index.html
>             -...etc
>         -web-inf

If this is really "web-inf" (all lower case), you are doomed to failure.
It *must* be "WEB-INF" (all upper case) instead, because servlet based
applications are always case sensitive.

>             -lib
>             -classes
>             -parameters