Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Giulio Cesare Solaroli <sl...@ibn-italy.com> on 2003/05/19 15:38:26 UTC

Problem with long run IndexSearcher

Hi all,

first let me express my compliments for Lucene.
I have been up for a full week-end to double check the results I was
having because I couldn't belive what I saw; with a stupid application
I could index DB data at a sustained rate of 50 documents per second.

Now we have more that 2 millions documents indexed and the performance
are still excellent; our main bottle neck is still the DB.

Our situation:
- we are indexing new documents at a sustained rate (an average of
40.000 new documents a day);
- we have written a small xmlRpc server in Java to search the index
from other applications.

The xmlRpc server creates a single instance of IndexSearcher a reuse it
for each query issued.
For each request, a new Query object is created and the documents found
are returned to the client.

The problem we are seeing is that the documents indexed after the
xmlRpc server is started will not be found until the server is
restarted.

Is this our foult, or the way IndexSearcher should work?

What is the best way to keep the IndexSearcher up to date with the
updated index?

Thanks for your attention,

Giulio Cesare Solaroli