Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/09 15:27:29 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Avro 1.10.0 RC1

Hi everyone,

I'd like to propose the following RC1 to be released as the official Apache
Avro 1.10.0 release.

The commit id is 1301a045396cf0e6ca7f12c9e4053b4f81237887

* This corresponds to the tag: release-1.10.0-rc1
* https://github.com/apache/avro/releases/tag/release-1.10.0-rc1

The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here (revision 37932):
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.10.0-rc1/

You can find the KEYS file here:
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/KEYS

Binary artifacts for Java are staged in Nexus here:
* https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/avro/avro/1.10.0/

This release includes 187 Jira issues (Thanks Ryan Skraba for the highlights)
https://jira.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0

* Some interesting highlights (Thanks Ryan Skraba for the list):

C#
- [AVRO-2389] Add Avro serialization for POCO (Reflection)

Java
- [AVRO-2723] Automatically find defaults on POJO when using reflection.
- [AVRO-2278] Now throws an exception when getting a non-existent
field from a record
- [AVRO-2335] Remove Joda Time library.
- [AVRO-2438] Better support for URI and URL types.

Perl
- [AVRO-1461] Distribute as a CPAN module.

PHP
- [AVRO-2527] Update to PHP 7.x

Python
- [AVRO-2656] avro-python package is now the preferred python3 library
and avro-python3 is prepared to be deprecated
- [AVRO-2387] type checking added to python

Ruby
- [AVRO-1740] Support fingerprinting.
- [AVRO-2535] Support enum defaults.
- [AVRO-2545] Support aliases.

* Upgrade dependencies to latest versions, including CVE fixes.
* Multiple fixes and more...

Please download, verify, and test. This vote will remain open for at least
72 hours. Given sufficient votes, I would like to close after noon UTC
Friday, June 12th, 2020

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Avro 1.10.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this because...

Best regards,
Ismaël Mejía

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Avro 1.10.0 RC1

Posted by Tim Perkins <tj...@cantab.net>.
Downloaded the Ruby gem and tested with several other Ruby libraries that
depend on Avro: avro-builder, avromatic, avro_turf,
avro-resolution_canonical_form

[x] +1 Release this as Apache Avro 1.10.0

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
-1 for the CVE reported in AVRO-2865. It is not a severe CVE but
better to include the fix since many projects depend on maven-plugin.

I will prepare a new RC and publish it here beginning of next week.
In the meantime please help us test and report any extra issues you may see.

Regards,
Ismaël

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.