Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Howard Fear <hs...@pooh.pageplus.com> on 1997/01/10 00:52:53 UTC

Re: Suggested config extention to SSI

Not to turn this into an HTML help list...

"Jason S. Clary" writes:
> Basicly, when putting a series of graphical buttons side by side, msie
> will put them touching no unless there is an &nbsp;... In netscape, if
> there are is a physical line break in the HTML it puts a space between
> them.. this got very annoying for me so I added a <!--#config
> crlf="off"> directive that does just that, it turns off the returns at
> the end of the lines...  so you can put your button bar on multiple
> lines without netscape screwing it up..

There's an easier solution to the problem.  Use comments to
filter the EOL:

    This is some text that runs<!--
    -->together.

produces:
    This is some text that runstogether.

I use this extensively when formatting long link references to avoid
unsightly spaces.

    <A HREF="http://server//some/vary/long/path/to/page"><!--
    -->This is the link</A>.

I've never seen a problem with either Netscape or MSIE (or Mosaic or
Lynx for that matter).

--
Howard Fear      I'm just a country perl hacker Jim.        hsf@pageplus.com
                    http://www.pageplus.com/~hsf/           hsf@redcape.com