Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/05/25 18:44:34 UTC

Fussy feelings about 0.7

Hello all,

as more mails I read (mainly from Ross and David) as more I get a fussy
feelings in my stomach about the 0.7.

Sure we want to get the 0.7 out the door but it seems there are some
*big* bugs that need solutions. On the other hand this solutions will be
changed again in 0.8.

IMO we should think again about the release and how we want to do it.

WDYT?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> So I guess the outcome of the 'fuzzy' debate is that this issue is a
> blocker and we will delay the 0.7 release once again?
>
> If so, how much time do we have in case we decide to get rid of the
> xdocs-folder?

We will *not* be getting rid of the xdocs folder in 0.7. This is a major
change and will take too much time, unless you can show us otherwise.

The issue of raw HTML files is a blocker because it breaks backward
compatability.

Ross

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

David Crossley wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> Ross Gardler wrote:

>> > Care to highlight them, I'm not aware of any, with the exception of the
>> > raw html issue, for which I already proposed, what I think is a suitable
>> > fix.
>>
>> I had the raw html issue in mind but like you stated you already
>> proposed a fix.

> That is certainly a problem. Ross' proposed solution sounds good.
> See discussion at:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111696814000010

> The issue is documented at
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-505
> It is not yet scheduled for fixing for 0.7 release.

>> > I think if there are any remaining issues you want to see fixed you
>> > should fix them ;-)
>>
>> I will try to help in the next days.
>>
>> Is there a to do list or do I use the bug tracker directly?
>>
>> > We are not in a code freeze yet.

Ross wrote

> The handling of raw HTML content is going to change before the 0.7
> release as discussed in
> http://issues.cocoondev.org//browse/FOR-505?page=comments#action_12427

and in another thread

> When I find the time I'll write up a proposal about how to implement this.

So I guess the outcome of the 'fuzzy' debate is that this issue is a
blocker and we will delay the 0.7 release once again?

If so, how much time do we have in case we decide to get rid of the
xdocs-folder?

In any case I will stop working on the documentation issue until this
is solved.

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > as more mails I read (mainly from Ross and David) as more I get a fussy
> > > feelings in my stomach about the 0.7.
> > >
> > > Sure we want to get the 0.7 out the door but it seems there are some
> > > *big* bugs that need solutions. On the other hand this solutions will be
> > > changed again in 0.8.
> >
> > Care to highlight them, I'm not aware of any, with the exception of the
> > raw html issue, for which I already proposed, what I think is a suitable
> > fix.
>
> I had the raw html issue in mind but like you stated you already
> proposed a fix.

That is certainly a problem. Ross' proposed solution sounds good.
See discussion at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111696814000010

The issue is documented at http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-505
It is not yet scheduled for fixing for 0.7 release.

> > > IMO we should think again about the release and how we want to do it.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> >
> > I think if there are any remaining issues you want to see fixed you
> > should fix them ;-)
>
> I will try to help in the next days.
>
> Is there a to do list or do I use the bug tracker directly?
>
> > We are not in a code freeze yet.

We use the Forrest Jira issue tracker:
http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#patch

Obviously not every issue is listed there. Look at the Roadmap
is the best way to get an overview. The Unscheduled list also
needs regular review, some of them may need to be scheduled for
the 0.7 release.

--David

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 18:48 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > as more mails I read (mainly from Ross and David) as more I get a fussy
> > feelings in my stomach about the 0.7.
> >
> > Sure we want to get the 0.7 out the door but it seems there are some
> > *big* bugs that need solutions. On the other hand this solutions will be
> > changed again in 0.8.
>
> Care to highlight them, I'm not aware of any, with the exception of the
> raw html issue, for which I already proposed, what I think is a suitable
> fix.

I had the raw html issue in mind but like you stated you already
proposed a fix.

> > IMO we should think again about the release and how we want to do it.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> I think if there are any remaining issues you want to see fixed you
> should fix them ;-)

I will try to help in the next days.

Is there a to do list or do I use the bug tracker directly?

> We are not in a code freeze yet.
>
> Ross

salu2

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>> IMO we should think again about the release and how we want to do it.
>> WDYT?
>

> I think if there are any remaining issues you want to see fixed you
> should fix them ;-)

Hmmm, even *with* a smiley I want to stress that *is* a (half) joke. If
devs do not have the time we do not *expect* anything of them.

Ross

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>>Sure we want to get the 0.7 out the door but it seems there are some
>>*big* bugs that need solutions. On the other hand this solutions will be
>>changed again in 0.8.
>>
>>IMO we should think again about the release and how we want to do it.
>>
>>WDYT?
>>
>>salu2
>

> I have same feelings. But there is nothing that would stop us to release
>  a 0.71 release right?

Right.

However, can people please point out which issues they consider to be
"*big* bugs", David and I seem to be in agreement on most of the
remaining issues not being important, so we need you to point out the
ones you are not happy with.

Ross

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Let's not be fussy, let's act!
>
> I can see good reasons for delaying the release and fix a few things
> and I see _just as many reasons_ to roll out the improvements we have
> made until now.
>
> The only real mistake we can make is to talk about this forever.

+1

> So in short: let's do 0.7 now. I'll help by fixing the linking
> samples this Wednesday.

+1

Ross

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
Let's not be fussy, let's act!

I can see good reasons for delaying the release and fix a few things
and I see _just as many reasons_ to roll out the improvements we have
made until now.

The only real mistake we can make is to talk about this forever.

However: If we decide to postpone, I'd suggest to address a number of
extra issues (like dir structure) that was scheduled for 0.8. And that
will mean a considerable delay.

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > Thorsten, you started this thread, and Cheche you said "me too".
> > However neither of you followed up to tell us what your concerns are.
> >
> > Please say something. Even if your comments are not specific,
> > we need to know why you are making these disruptive statements.
>
> sure,
> I think that "FOR-465: Logging Error: Writing event to closed stream."
> and the output "Lazy mode: true"  and a "log4j:WARN Please initialize
> the log4j system properly." look bad.

Looks bad, but is it sufficient to stop a release.
The first two are now both documented at the issue tracker
as FOR-465 and FOR-513. We can also add FAQs if necessary.

The Log4j warning appeared recently when the log4j.jar was added.
Today i added a log4j.properties file which makes the configuration
warning go away.

> I think as well that they do not affect to the output site, but in order
> to fix the first two issues, we would need to upgrade our version of
> cocoon.
> At the moment we are not able to do so, Carsten is aware that the
> command line enviroment is not working, so we need to wait for him to
> fix it and them test those changes.
> But I am happy if those changes go to the next release (0.71)

If really necessary, then sure we can do a 0.71 release.

--David

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: Fussy feelings about 0.7

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Sure we want to get the 0.7 out the door but it seems there are some
> > *big* bugs that need solutions. On the other hand this solutions will be
> > changed again in 0.8.
> >
> > IMO we should think again about the release and how we want to do it.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > salu2
>
> I have same feelings. But there is nothing that would stop us to release
>  a 0.71 release right?

Thorsten, you started this thread, and Cheche you said "me too".
However neither of you followed up to tell us what your concerns are.

Please say something. Even if your comments are not specific,
we need to know why you are making these disruptive statements.

There are *no* "big bugs" listed on the issue tracker as blocking
the release.

--David