Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kannan J <ka...@yahoo.co.in> on 2011/02/21 20:35:20 UTC

Remote debugging options set into tomcat5w.exe take no effect.

Hello
I'm using windows xp. 32 bit.
I have specified the jvm debuggin options in tomcat5w.exe  -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n for remote debugging tomcat.
But when I try to connect to this port 8000 from Eclipse IDE it says connection refused. I have tried many other ports with the same result.
I'm not starting tomcat from windows service, I'm starting it from tomcat5w.exe's start button.
I'm attaching 2 screenshots - one is tomcat5w.exe's path to executable (it is set to another unused tomcat on c:\program files(x64)\Apache Software Foundation\tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe (note the X64), which looks wrong to me but the field is UNEDITABLE)

The other screenshot is the Java options.
What should I do? Someone please help before I shoot myself.

Thanks
Kannan

RE: Remote debugging options set into tomcat5w.exe take no effect.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Kannan J [mailto:kannan_jayaprakasam@yahoo.co.in]
> Subject: Remote debugging options set into tomcat5w.exe take no effect.

> one is tomcat5w.exe's path to executable (it is set to
> another unused tomcat on c:\program files(x64)\Apache
> Software Foundation\tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe (note the
> X64), which looks wrong to me but the field is UNEDITABLE)

It's not editable because it's part of the service definition (regardless of whether or not you're running it as a service).  You need to uninstall the service and reinstall it from the proper location.  The service.bat script can be used for this; if you don't have it, get the .zip download rather than the .exe one.

 - Chuck

RE: Remote debugging options set into tomcat5w.exe take no effect.

Posted by Kannan J <ka...@yahoo.co.in>.

Yes, separate line was the problem. tomcat5w.exe makers are frigging idiots and SAW 1,2,3,4,5 movie fans who love to torture their users.with meaningless issues like this.
Thanks for your help.

> I have specified the jvm debuggin options in tomcat5w.exe
> -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n
> for remote debugging tomcat.

Try putting only one option per line.

Verify that port 8000 is active with netstat.

- Chuck

RE: Remote debugging options set into tomcat5w.exe take no effect.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.