Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by "Qiu, Damon" <da...@sap.com> on 2012/04/10 04:56:42 UTC

Access a new type of database with openJPA

Dear OpenJPA colleagues,

This is Damon from SAP Business One team. Currently I want use OpenJPA as OR Mapping framework in our project to support a new type of database(SAP HANA). In document section 4, I see user can plug a dictionary in OpenJPA to support a new database.

I have tried several times, but always failed. Could you please give me more detail configuration steps or guidelines? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Damon Qiu

Remote Support Platform & Lifecycle Management & HANA | SAP Business One | damon.qiu@sap.com<ma...@sap.com> | +86 21 6030 6031

Re: Access a new type of database with openJPA

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I would assume that SAP HANA is pretty close to some other existing
database as far as JDBC and SQL support is concerned -- maybe Derby, DB2,
or Oracle?  I would start with one of those and extend your own
"HanaDictionary" class.  Or, you could always start by extending the base
DBDictionary class and then modify it as necessary for the proper Hana
support [1].

After you have created this dictionary, then you can plug this into the
architecture via the openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary property like this [2][3]:

<property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary" value="my.project.HanaDictionary"/>

If you want to go a step further, you could also consider contributing this
back to the Apache OpenJPA project and then modify the OpenJPA code to
define an alias for this dictionary.  This way, other future users could
take advantage of your efforts and they could configure it as such:

<property name="openjpa.jdbc.DBDictionary" value="hana"/>

Hope this helps,
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/docbook/manual.html#ref_guide_dbsetup_dbsupport