Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Fernando Freitas <na...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/17 18:36:40 UTC

migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Hello,

I am planning a migrate/upgrade SVN server that work at *windows 2003 server
*.

My current version is *1.4* and I want to migrate to *1.6*

1)  Should I restart the windows server at the end of the process ? Is it
needed?

2)  Do anybody have the step by step of a same experience?

Best Regards,
Fernando Freitas

Re: migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Posted by ankush chadha <an...@yahoo.com>.

> Also make sure to upgrade all the svn client applications to 1.6 after
>upgrading
>
> your svn server and the repository to 1.6. There were issues with non recursive
>
> checkouts using some svn client applications.

>Which issues in particular?
>Can you point to relevant mailing list threads or issue numbers?
>Because how can people tell whether the issue might affect them
>if they can't get more specific information about the problem?
>How can they tell whether the problem might be serious or benign
>for their use cases?

>In general, any compatibility issues between clients and servers
>of different versions can be found in the compatibility tables in
>the release notes. For 1.5 and 1.6 this would be:
>http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5.html#new-feature-compatibility-table
>
>http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html#new-feature-compatibility-table
>

>If the issue you're referring to isn't listed there, it would help
>if you could point at more specific information. (I'm also interested
>because I'd like to know about the issue -- I cannot recall it off the
>top of my head.) Thanks!

Hi Stefan

This is what I posted more than an year back. I was mainly facing two issues
when I was using svnant that internally uses svnkit.

http://readlist.com/lists/subversion.tigris.org/users/10/52332.html
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.subclipse.user/15584/match=

Performance issue I was able to resolve by upgrading svnkit that was shipped
with svnant. I added bunch of additional svnkit dependencies to the classpath
(jna) and set one of the parameters to false (set svnkit.symlinks=false
)

I was able to workaround the second issue by not performing non recursive svn
checkouts using svnant.

Ankush

Re: migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Re: migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Posted by ankush chadha <an...@yahoo.com>.

RE: migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

RE: migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Posted by "Cooke, Mark" <ma...@siemens.com>.

Hope that helps,

~ mark c

RE: migrate svn 1.4 to 1.6

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> I am planning a migrate/upgrade SVN server that work at windows
> 2003 server .
>
> My current version is 1.4 and I want to migrate to 1.6
>
> 1)  Should I restart the windows server at the end of the process ?
> Is it needed?
>
> 2)  Do anybody have the step by step of a same experience?

you shouldn't have to restart the service. But, you will have to restart the service that you are using, either Apache or svnserve daemon.

BOb