Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2005/07/02 08:31:10 UTC

Re: anyone has rules against new German money-making spam?

>> > Also, unless this really is very common stuff, you should look to your
>> > Bayes database.  Getting Bayes_00 on a spam is generally not a good sign!
>>
>> Thanks, but the mail text is pretty usual German and 95% of my users are
>> Germans so I can't really do much about that. :-(
>>
>> I'll try with some body rules, thanks!
>>
>> Bye,
>>  Andy.

depending on your user community the presence of "marketing" in a mail could be taken
as a spam sign .... and I am pretty sure that some of the english rules give scores to earning
money, so "verdienen" and "Verdienst" and "Einkommen" would be candidates.
Too bad there are no specific german rules on the net

@Loren: as a german speaker I get the impression that this text was wrritten or translated by a
non-native speaker and then retyped by someone who does not know german.
We have all these nice extra characters like in "�bler Spam �rgert uns" - and where the keyboard
(or other constraints) make them impossible, they would be replaced by two-letter
combinations "ueber Spam aergert uns". So in fact one in five words in that text is misspelled

Wolfgang Hamann

Re: anyone has rules against new German money-making spam?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Loren Wilton wrote on Sat, 2 Jul 2005 03:54:01 -0700:

> We have not released any non-English rules at this point, but it is not from
> lack of desire -- it is merely that we do not have the necessary experience
> with non-English spam to be able to do a workman-like job of it.

There's another problem: there's almost no German spam. That makes it even
harder to come up with good rules. Just checking for /verdienen/ and similar is
obviously not a good way, that would create lots of FPs. It's actually almost
only the German spam which gets thru here, but it's so few that I didn't even
bother to think about possible rules catching them. It also seems that the few
existing spams are very shortlived. The text is sent out once and then never
again. But the rate of them is increasing, I got three or so during last week
..

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: anyone has rules against new German money-making spam?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Hi Wolfgang -

> @Loren: as a german speaker I get the impression that this text was
wrritten or translated by a
> non-native speaker and then retyped by someone who does not know german.

I quickly scanned the text, and while I only know enough German to read a
schematic, it immediately seemed to me this was some sort of normal American
chain-mail or get-rich-quick letter.  Certainly the quotes of "satisfied
customers" quoted addresses in places that are not predominantly
German-speaking; so I assumed that at leas that much text had to be
translated.

I made the assumption that possibly someone local that spoke both languages
had received one of those and translated it to German.

> We have all these nice extra characters like in "übler Spam ärgert uns" -
and where the keyboard
> (or other constraints) make them impossible, they would be replaced by
two-letter
> combinations "ueber Spam aergert uns". So in fact one in five words in
that text is misspelled

I completely missed this, and it is of course obvious now that you mention
it.  Even with keyboards missing the unlauts and whatnot there is usually a
method of entering those characters, although I suppose it may be more work
than it is worth.  I can remember how to do this on an Amiga, but never
learned how to do it on a PC.  :-)

        Loren

PS: On the subject of no German rules, SA is somewhat of a volunteer effort,
and I'm sure they would be happy to accept some.  Although they may have
some trouble effectively mass-checking and scoring them.

We have at least one native German-speaker in SARE, and I'm sure we would be
more than open to acquiring people with non-English language abilities, a
willingness to write and test rules, and perhaps most importantly, a corpus
of mail to test against.