Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/08 14:28:35 UTC

Eclipse running out-of-memory

Hi,

since recently my default eclipse installation runs out-of-memory when
running all core tests in debug mode. In run mode it doesn't. I know I
can extend the available memory, I just wonder what test (or recent
change) causes that mem demand. Using visualvm's basic mem profiling
features indicates that mem demand seems to double/triple all by a
sudden. Before installing yourkit (or any other profiler), I wonder if
somebody knows about it already. Because than I would increase my mem
setting. If it's a bug, than we should investigate,

-Juergen

Re: Eclipse running out-of-memory

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Juergen,

I debugged the tests quickly and I found these tests as thread-heavy:

org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilterTest.testParallelCheckRedirect(int)
This method creates 8000 threads.

org.apache.wicket.pageStore.PageAccessSynchronizerTest

org.apache.wicket.page.persistent.disk.DiskDataStoreTest.test1()
creates a PageSavingThread

org.apache.wicket.versioning.PageVersioningTest.setup()
creates a PageSavingThread

All of them seems to clean properly after themselves.
I noticed only ModificationWatcher threads staying around. So I
disabled ModificationWatcher with r1102196 (WICKET-3703) and now it
should be better.
It seems that now all tests pass 30 secs faster on my machine
(2:40mins -> 2:12mins).

Posted by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by andrea del bene <an...@libero.it>.

Posted by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by andrea del bene <an...@libero.it>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
I didn't notice any change that would cause that.
I don't run the tests in debug mode but I always run my app in debug
mode (I work against 1.5-SNAPSHOT) and I didn't have any problems so
far.