Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Ilya Builuk <il...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/07 10:18:30 UTC

Shindig on .NET?

Hello Shindig community!

As developer who works with Microsoft .NET Framework platform I found
that there are no open implementations of opensocial container on .NET
(pesta/baadal isn't production quality, poorly designed and aren't
using .NET benefits as they just unsuccessful port of shindig java
implementation). So I've started my own open source project here:
catpic.codeplex.com. It uses all client-side (javascript) of shindig,
but server-side is written from scratch. Also it will be distributed
as nuget package (package manager for Visual Studio - see nuget.org)
that means it will be integrated into existing ASP.NET application.
This is the goal: integrating of opensocial facilities into existing
applications with minimal efforts. Just install nuget package,
implement some interfaces which are mediators between different
systems (e.g. repositories of people, activities) and your site is
opensocial container now.

So, what have I done:
* simple gadget server (some features, as preload aren't implemented)
* social handlers: people.get, people.create, activities.get,
activities.create, activitystreams.get, activitystreams.create
* demo site (continues integration build): http://catpic.apphb.com/

Why am I writing here? Maybe this project can be considered as good
start point to develop Shindig in .NET world.

Resources:
* catpic.codeplex.com - project repository
* http://catpic.apphb.com/social/ActivityStreams

Tests:
* http://catpic.apphb.com/gadgets/ifr?url=http://catpic.apphb.com/content/gadgets/social/ActivitiesSuiteTest.xml
* http://catpic.apphb.com/gadgets/ifr?url=http://catpic.apphb.com/content/gadgets/social/PeopleSuiteTest.xml

Thanks,
Ilya

Re: Shindig on .NET?

Posted by Ryan Baxter <rb...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Franklin, Matthew B.
<mf...@mitre.org> wrote:
> [...]

Great to know Matt.  If Ilya wants to pursue this I am sure the
community will consider the idea.

>>-Ryan
>>
>>[1] http://code.google.com/p/negroni/
>>
>>On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Ilya Builuk <il...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Shindig community!
>>>
>>> As developer who works with Microsoft .NET Framework platform I found
>>> that there are no open implementations of opensocial container on .NET
>>> (pesta/baadal isn't production quality, poorly designed and aren't
>>> using .NET benefits as they just unsuccessful port of shindig java
>>> implementation). So I've started my own open source project here:
>>> catpic.codeplex.com. It uses all client-side (javascript) of shindig,
>>> but server-side is written from scratch. Also it will be distributed
>>> as nuget package (package manager for Visual Studio - see nuget.org)
>>> that means it will be integrated into existing ASP.NET application.
>>> This is the goal: integrating of opensocial facilities into existing
>>> applications with minimal efforts. Just install nuget package,
>>> implement some interfaces which are mediators between different
>>> systems (e.g. repositories of people, activities) and your site is
>>> opensocial container now.
>>>
>>> So, what have I done:
>>> * simple gadget server (some features, as preload aren't implemented)
>>> * social handlers: people.get, people.create, activities.get,
>>> activities.create, activitystreams.get, activitystreams.create
>>> * demo site (continues integration build): http://catpic.apphb.com/
>>>
>>> Why am I writing here? Maybe this project can be considered as good
>>> start point to develop Shindig in .NET world.
>>>
>>> Resources:
>>> * catpic.codeplex.com - project repository
>>> * http://catpic.apphb.com/social/ActivityStreams
>>>
>>> Tests:
>>> *
>>http://catpic.apphb.com/gadgets/ifr?url=http://catpic.apphb.com/content/g
>>adgets/social/ActivitiesSuiteTest.xml
>>> *
>>http://catpic.apphb.com/gadgets/ifr?url=http://catpic.apphb.com/content/g
>>adgets/social/PeopleSuiteTest.xml
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ilya

RE: Shindig on .NET?

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: Shindig on .NET?

Posted by Ryan Baxter <rb...@apache.org>.
Ilya please keep us up to date on your progress, and let us know how
we can help!

-Ryan

Re: Shindig on .NET?

Posted by Ryan Baxter <rb...@apache.org>.
Ilya, we as an OpenSocial community lack in this area a bit.  There
are some compliance tests checked in to Shinding [1] but they are for
earlier versions of the spec.  One of the items on the TODO list of
the OpenSocial community is to update these tests.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shindig/trunk/content/gadgets/

Re: Shindig on .NET?

Posted by Ilya Builuk <il...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan!