Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com> on 2009/06/04 04:42:41 UTC

dump and load a db containing the lucene design doc

Hi guys,

I have a database that has a design document that triggers couchdb-lucene
indexing  ( the exact name slips my mind ).
If I dump the db and load it into a different db on same couch installation
- the new db now has the doc that triggers lucene indexing - but when does t
the lucene indexing actually happen - on load?  On first lucene query ?

Note I am asking about lucene's indexing not couchdb's

Nitin

37% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Nitin Borwankar
nborwankar@gmail.com

Re: dump and load a db containing the lucene design doc

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a database that has a design document that triggers couchdb-lucene
> indexing  ( the exact name slips my mind ).
> If I dump the db and load it into a different db on same couch installation
> - the new db now has the doc that triggers lucene indexing - but when does t
> the lucene indexing actually happen - on load?  On first lucene query ?
>
> Note I am asking about lucene's indexing not couchdb's
>
> Nitin

Nitin,

couchdb-lucene indexes databases asynchronously which means, "shortly
after the design doc shows up, but not at a deterministic boundary
like doc insert or first query. Last I heard Robert talking, he was
either going to (or has already) implemented the familiar "Every N
docs or M seconds" scheme, so it should be configurable either way.

Paul Davis

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On Jun 3, 2009, at 10:42 PM, Nitin Borwankar wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a database that has a design document that triggers couchdb-
> lucene
> indexing  ( the exact name slips my mind ).
> If I dump the db and load it into a different db on same couch
> installation
> - the new db now has the doc that triggers lucene indexing - but
> when does t
> the lucene indexing actually happen - on load?  On first lucene
> query ?
>
> Note I am asking about lucene's indexing not couchdb's
>
> Nitin

Hi Nitin, I believe it will start indexing as soon as the _design/
lucene document shows up in the new DB, but there's a sorting phase
that imposes a first query hit.

As an aside, why not just do a local->local replication here?  It'll
be substantially faster than dumping and loading since there's no JSON
overhead.  Best,

Adam