Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Martin Lomas <ml...@rogers.com> on 2004/06/09 06:53:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Please: Reports from Apache 2.x users on Win 2000 Pro?

Hello All,

I'd really appreciate it if users of Apache v2.x on Windows 2000 Pro could
give me any brief reports of their experiences - good, bad or ugly.
Stability okay? Communications smooth? Do you run PHP 4.3.x?

Perhaps Win2k isn't the best choice, but I own a copy (no longer in use from
a different system - I assume license is okay), and I am, after all,
migrating away from bloody Win98SE! So sick of blue screens and what-not. I
will at some point switch to Unix, but now is not the time for any learning
curve on this particular server.

Ther server in question is an Athlon 800mHz w/512mb RAM.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Re: [users@httpd] Please: Reports from Apache 2.x users on Win 2000 Pro?

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
Martin Lomas wrote:
> I'd really appreciate it if users of Apache v2.x on Windows 2000 Pro could
> give me any brief reports of their experiences - good, bad or ugly.
> Stability okay? Communications smooth? Do you run PHP 4.3.x?

I have run Apache 2.x on two different Windows 2K computers.  The first
was a 100 MHz Pentium with 128MB of RAM running Win2KPro and Apache
2.0.40.  It was rock solid and NEVER gave me any trouble.  The current
one is a 400 MHz AMD K6/2 with 384MB of RAM and has had Apache 2.0.44
and now 2.0.48 with 2 virtual hosts.  It is also rock solid.  I have
never run PHP on either one and both are VERY quiet systems.

> Perhaps Win2k isn't the best choice, but I own a copy (no longer in use from
> a different system - I assume license is okay), and I am, after all,
> migrating away from bloody Win98SE! So sick of blue screens and what-not. I
> will at some point switch to Unix, but now is not the time for any learning
> curve on this particular server.

I have no real complaints.

> Ther server in question is an Athlon 800mHz w/512mb RAM.

If it's not a real busy system, that should be fine.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Re: [users@httpd] Please: Reports from Apache 2.x users on Win 2000 Pro?

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Martin Lomas wrote:
> I'd really appreciate it if users of Apache v2.x on Windows 2000 Pro could
> give me any brief reports of their experiences - good, bad or ugly.
> Stability okay? Communications smooth? Do you run PHP 4.3.x?

I've used (and to some extent still are using) Apache 2 on both Windows 2k
and XP. Not nice environments, but stability and performance is good.

Regards,
Robert Andersson