Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Office of the Postmaster <po...@aeonflux.net> on 2007/10/26 03:53:09 UTC

Question concerning MIME_QP_LONG_LINE

	*  1.8 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars

------=_NextPart_000_0001_47200277.05070052

message body

----=_NextPart_007_9001_45c82de7.099C8585_B7D4--

I'm getting this on most messages going out of our Sendmail 8.12.9p2
systems.  I think I am misunderstanding what this means.  I thought it
meant that in the HTML message body section of the email that the length of
individual lines had exceeded 76 characters and so I wrote a parser that
made sure no line was longer than 72 characters and yet I continued to get
the warning.

What does this point score refer too since it doesnt go away by making the
changes that I did?  And we did not used to get this message I think before
August.

James

ps thanks ahead for any help on this.

Re: Question concerning MIME_QP_LONG_LINE

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Office of the Postmaster wrote:
>     *  1.8 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76
> chars
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0001_47200277.05070052
>
> message body
>
> ----=_NextPart_007_9001_45c82de7.099C8585_B7D4--
>

> I'm getting this on most messages going out of our Sendmail 8.12.9p2
> systems.  I think I am misunderstanding what this means.  I thought it
> meant that in the HTML message body section of the email that the
> length of individual lines had exceeded 76 characters and so I wrote a
> parser that made sure no line was longer than 72 characters and yet I
> continued to get the warning.
>
> What does this point score refer too since it doesnt go away by making
> the changes that I did?  And we did not used to get this message I
> think before August.
It really should trigger on lines 77 chars and longer.

I can't get MIME_QP_LONG_LINE to trigger on the message body sample
above. Is there a way you can post an entire sample message? even if
it's using something like pastebin..

Also, what exact version of SpamAssassin are you using? the 1.8 score
implies 3.2.x. I tested using 3.2.3.

Re: Question concerning MIME_QP_LONG_LINE

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 25.10.07 21:53, Office of the Postmaster wrote:
> 	*  1.8 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76
> 	chars

> I'm getting this on most messages going out of our Sendmail 8.12.9p2
> systems.  I think I am misunderstanding what this means.  I thought it
> meant that in the HTML message body section of the email that the length of
> individual lines had exceeded 76 characters and so I wrote a parser that
> made sure no line was longer than 72 characters and yet I continued to get
> the warning.

quoted-printable lines in mail may be up to 76 characters long, so those
lines violate mime specification (see rfc 2045). Find out who generates
them. Do your mail clients send 8bit charsacters in messages?

Linux IS user friendly, it's just selective who its friends are...