Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by azbel <az...@msn.com> on 2007/10/25 23:01:38 UTC

Is ActiveMQ suitable for this Store-And-Forward scenario?

Good afternoon.
I'm currently evaluating existing JMS Servers in order to fulfill the
following requirement:

A Java client application must send XML messages to JMS on the application
server, but the network is not available most of the time. XML messages must
be persisted in the local client machine and be forwarded when the
connection is available. I suppose that configuring an embedded broker with
ActiveMQ would be the solution since it will persist the messages, but only
if it provides the required funcionality of sending the message when the
network is available again.

Are my assumptions correct? Does ActiveMQ fulfill the requirement?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Is ActiveMQ suitable for this Store-And-Forward scenario?

Posted by azbel <az...@msn.com>.
Thanks for clarifying! :-D

Re: Is ActiveMQ suitable for this Store-And-Forward scenario?

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
There are two basic deployment configurations for ActiveMQ brokers: embedded
and standalone.

An embedded broker executes within the same JVM process as the client(s)
that is using its services. The client communicates with the embedded broker
via direct method invocation.

Standalone brokers do not have any client applications that co-reside within
its JVM. Clients communicate with standalone brokers through TCP/IP network
connections.

You will need a bridge in order to have ActiveMQ interoperate with BEA's
implementation of JMS. Or you could 'embed' ActiveMQ within the WebLogic
server  d:-)

Joe

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
Yes, ActiveMQ will meet your requirements. You can have the ActiveMQ message
broker, on your local client machine, persist the XML messages so that when
the network is available it can forward the messages on to the ActiveMQ
broker that you have deployed on the server machine.

If your client application is somewhat transitory, then you may want to
elect not to use an embedded broker and instead deploy a standalone or
daemon-like broker on your client machine. Thus you are assured that the
persisted messages are forwarded immediately upon the network becoming
available.

Joe