Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/12 11:35:46 UTC

Backup again

Hi, all

     As I understand from the discussions on the list,
we can backup the file system only if Hbase is down.

If we want to run backup when Hbase is up
we can work on the Hbase level, i.e. use scan,
MR export/import utils, etc.  but we cannot backup
on the file system level.

Is it correct?

Thank you for your cooperation,
M.

Re: Backup again

Posted by Billy Pearson <bi...@sbcglobal.net>.

because we append edits to the edit logs by default of 300 edits per append.
It would not be wise to copy the files with out shutting down the cluster.

multi reasons not to do this thank memcache flushes/compactions/updates all
working on the data files and directories at the same time.

But as in all other database there if all the tables was marked as read only
and memcache flushes was done and all compaction where done then you MIGHT
be able to copy it. but I would not count on that to be a reliable way to do
backups

Billy

Posted by Michael Dagaev <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Backup again