Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2012/02/01 10:48:18 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] How to make Apache mod_deflate and Transfer-encoding : Chunked work together?

>On 1/31/2012 9:37 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> IIUC, it's not badly written client code, but a want from webserver
>> admin, that seems not to be fullfillable with current
>> apache/mod_deflate...

>No.  Protocols and specifications exist for a reason.  Even *IF* you
>could force chunk behavior at the origin server, you would be incapable
>of producing the same results as the request travels through forward,
>reverse and transparent proxies outside of that administrators control.

Of course. But the original question was, why is chunking not used,
even when Content-Length was not sent? I don't know HTTP/1.1 enough to
answwer this question, do you?

LSD will make your ECS screen display 16.7 million colors

Re: [users@httpd] How to make Apache mod_deflate and Transfer-encoding : Chunked work together?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>On 2/1/2012 3:48 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> Of course. But the original question was, why is chunking not used,
>> even when Content-Length was not sent?  I don't know HTTP/1.1 enough
>> to answwer this question, do you?

>Yes; because the entire C-L is known and the overhead for C-L plus
>fragment header/trailer is longer than a simple C-L header.

This issue can also be handles by not sending the Content-Length and
using chunking.

>The original question was, "How do I force chunking".  The answer
>is, you don't and can't expect to.  Chunking is a hop-by-hop
>behavior over which you have no control by either endpoint of the
>intermediate servers' elections.

Maybe the original question should be rephrased to "How do I force
chunking when sending content from mod_gzip2", so we would not discuss
what chunking is for, if it collides with Content-Length and that it is
hop-by-hop header, and just search for answer for "why does mod_gzip
not send chunked responses, if it can".

Re: [users@httpd] How to make Apache mod_deflate and Transfer-encoding : Chunked work together?

Posted by sameer shah <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi William,

I have seen web sites forcing the chunked transfer-encoding as well as gzip
content encoding. One of the biggest example is *facebook*. And
*facebook*uses apache on linux.

Please refer this link on progressive rendering using chunked transfer
encoding.

http://www.phpied.com/progressive-rendering-via-multiple-flushes/

If you search "big pipe" on web you will find plenty of references of using
chunked transfer encoding.

Also apache does allow chunking if I don't enable mod_deflate module. Old
mod_gzip module which was packaged with old apache 1.3 had an directive
specifically for not dechunking.
*
*
*mod_gzip_dechunk  No*

So status right now is if i don't use compression on apache response is
sent chunk by chunk.

Thanks
Sameer

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.