Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by J Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2005/05/26 02:47:45 UTC

"Can't find domain" msg when domain exists

I need some help here.  In the log below, james says it can't find a DNS
entry for celebrate-austin.com.  Yet when I do an nslookup, it's there.  My
first thought is that they've got their MX records or something screwed up
at the target domain.  But this is a major company and it's been failing at
least for a couple of weeks, and I would figure that other mail must be
getting through or they'd find and fix it pretty quick.  Nothing has ever
gotten through from my server to them.

I've got to assume that even if the problem is on their end, other mail
servers must be working around it.  So there must be something I can do.  Or
is this somehow a problem with my local DNS server?  I haven't had any other
problems with other domains, and my server is pretty active.

Is there something wrong on my end?  Is there a possible workaround on my
end?  Please educate me...

Thanks.

Jerry

 3196: 25/05/05 19:31:57 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: No mail server
found for: celebrate-austin.com
  3197: 25/05/05 19:31:57 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary
exception delivering mail (Mail1117067516309-10935-to-celebrate-austin.com:
javax.mail.MessagingException: There are n
o DNS entries for the hostname celebrate-austin.com.  I cannot determine
where to send this message.
  3202: 25/05/05 19:31:57 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Storing
message Mail1117067516309-10935-to-celebrate-austin.com into outgoing after
0 retries

[C:\james-2.2.0a17\apps\james\logs]nslookup celebrate-austin.com
Server:  cachens1.iad1.serverbeach.com
Address:  69.44.56.86

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    celebrate-austin.com
Address:  69.93.252.218

RE: "Can't find domain" msg when domain exists

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
According to me:

> nslookup
set querytype=mx

Non-authoritative answer:
celebrate-austin.com    MX preference = 0, mail exchanger =
mail.locallinux.com

So they have a mail server :)

telnet mail.locallinux.com 25

220 nagheenanajar.locallinux.com (no one in this country can ever say my
name right. Its not that hard. ni-ee-nana-jar.  Nagheenanajar)
QUIT
221 Bye

And, although it is a bit puerile, it does respond correctly.

So I don't know why you're having a problem, I'm afraid. It's more likely to
be a problem at your end as using my local DNS servers & my ISPs mail
servers everything is fine. I've also queried the root servers and they
respond correctly.

-- Jason