Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Wolfgang Schulz <Wo...@dat.de> on 2002/08/28 08:22:29 UTC

javadoc - documenting classes that are not inside a pack

Hi List,

I'm relatively new to Ant and rightaway stumbled into a problem that
gives me a real headache. I've created a little project for Tomcat that
consits of some classes organized in packages and some classes
that are not.

Now I'm trying to get them all documented with javadoc like this:

  <javadoc sourcepath="src"
        destdir="${dist.home}/docs/api"
        packagenames="mypackage.*"
        sourcefiles="src/*">
    <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>
  </javadoc>

When I run Ant using the javadoc-target, it reports some errors and
the javadoc-output is not as expected. When I remove the
"sourcefiles"-attribute, no errors are reported, but, of course, the
"packageless" classes are not included in the resulting
documentation.

I even tried to make a documentation that only consists of classes
not in packages, but this seemed to be impossible at all.

What's wrong? I'd appreciate every hint.

Used configuration is:
  JDK 1.4.0_01
  Ant 1.4.1
  OS: WinNT 4.0 SP6

Und wech,

Wolfgang Schulz
e-mail: Wolfgang.Schulz@dat.de

Re: javadoc - documenting classes that are not inside a pack

Posted by Wolfgang Schulz <Wo...@dat.de>.
Hello Stefan,

Am 2 Sep 2002, um 15:51 schrieb Stefan Bodewig (Stefan Bodewig
<an...@jakarta.apache.org>) zum Thema "Re: javadoc -
documenting classes t":

> You'll need Ant 1.5 which will allow you to use a nested <fileset>,
> with that you can specify the sourcefiles and exclude all that you
> don't need (or only include the files in the default package).

I tinkered around a bit and changed my target to

  <javadoc sourcepath="src"
    destdir="${dist.home}/docs/api"
    packagenames="mypackage.*"
    sourcefiles="src/*.java"
    classpath="${catalina.home}/common/lib/servlet.jar">
  </javadoc>

and voila, this works! The problem seems to be the classpath-
specification and the sourcefiles-attribute of the former version (the
latter one was "src/*" instead of "src/*.java").

It looks like I can't use a refernce to specify the classpath, when I
use it in combination with the sorucefiles-attribute. This mostly ends
up in some unhandled exceptions.

Will Ant 1.5 fix this problem too?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Wolfgang Schulz <Wo...@dat.de> wrote:

> When I run Ant using the javadoc-target, it reports some errors and
> the javadoc-output is not as expected.

What kind of errors?

> I even tried to make a documentation that only consists of classes
> not in packages, but this seemed to be impossible at all.

You'll need Ant 1.5 which will allow you to use a nested <fileset>,
with that you can specify the sourcefiles and exclude all that you
don't need (or only include the files in the default package).

Stefan