Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Michael Armbrust <ma...@eecs.berkeley.edu> on 2012/06/05 23:53:20 UTC

Re: Scala API

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>wrote:

> Sure!  I know Michael Armbrust over at Berkeley has been using Scala with
> Avro; you might send him an e-mail (he's a grad student, so I'm sure you
> could look him up) to see whether he developed anything in this area.

We have a plugin for the scala compiler that takes case classes that extent
a special marker trait (AvroRecord) and generates the code needed for Avro
serialization.  It has mostly been used for research thus far, but we use
it quite a bit as the serialization for our K/V store, storing experimental
results, as well as our own homegrown message passing system.

Details can be found here: https://github.com/radlab/SCADS/wiki/Avro-Plugin

Let me know if you have any questions!

Michael