Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Smith <ms...@xn.com.au> on 2002/09/23 07:56:56 UTC

Speed problems with DeltaV

Hi all,

I've been experimenting lately with the DeltaV implementation now in
slide. Overall, it's pretty good, but after adding a few documents to my
test repository, a PUT (to a version-controlled resource) is now slow.
Really, really, really slow. Typically (my test documents are a few tens
of kB, and I'm doing this over a fast local network), a PUT takes 1-3
minutes.

I've traced this to the call to propertyHelper.computeCheckoutSet() in
VersioningHelper.getCheckoutPreconditionViolation() This method takes
the vast majority of the total time for the PUT (the rest is on the
order of 1 second).

Apparently, this uses the DASL implementation internally (to figure out
whether this VR is a checked-out version of some VCR? It's not entirely
clear). However, the default DASL implementation is sufficiently slow as
to be completely unusable (and really, using DASL for versioning doesn't
make much sense - at least to me).

So, my questions: Why is this implemented this way, and how could it be
changed to make it usable? I'm happy to do the work if some guidance can
be provided, but I don't really understand the design of the deltaV code
well enough to tackle it by myself.

Mike