Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> on 2007/02/27 19:09:43 UTC

Versioning Eudora email file trees doesn't work

I tried creating a repository on our remote Subversion server in which to
store email that's managed by Eudora on Windows (i.e. a file tree of files
like .mbx, .toc, and various others).

I imported the email file tree and then checked it out again, into another
directory.  Used Beyond Compare to verify that the files were all identical
to the uploaded files, except for the file dates (yes, I also wish that
Subversion would maintain the original last-modified date on files).

Fired up Eudora, pointed it to the newly downloaded directory of files, and
it crashed and burned, threw an exception, threatened to report me to
Microsoft :-), all the stuff that Windoze programs typically do when they
crash and burn.

The only two differences between the original email file tree and the
newly-downloaded working copy were the file dates and the newly-inserted
.svn directories ... yes, I also wish that Subversion would maintain the
original last-modified date on files ... oh, wait, I already said that.  :-)

Anybody have any idea why Eudora can't handle email trees stored in and
retrieved from Subversion?

Re: Versioning Eudora email file trees doesn't work

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/27/07, Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> I tried creating a repository on our remote Subversion server in which to
> store email that's managed by Eudora on Windows (i.e. a file tree of files
> like .mbx, .toc, and various others).
>
> I imported the email file tree and then checked it out again, into another
> directory.  Used Beyond Compare to verify that the files were all identical
> to the uploaded files, except for the file dates (yes, I also wish that
> Subversion would maintain the original last-modified date on files).
>
> Fired up Eudora, pointed it to the newly downloaded directory of files, and
> it crashed and burned, threw an exception, threatened to report me to
> Microsoft :-), all the stuff that Windoze programs typically do when they
> crash and burn.
>
> The only two differences between the original email file tree and the
> newly-downloaded working copy were the file dates and the newly-inserted
> .svn directories ... yes, I also wish that Subversion would maintain the
> original last-modified date on files ... oh, wait, I already said that.  :-)
>
> Anybody have any idea why Eudora can't handle email trees stored in and
> retrieved from Subversion?

In a copy of your "good" Eudora mail directory, create an empty
directory named .svn. Does that cause a crash as well?

If it does (and maybe even if it doesn't), then I think your answers
lie with Eudora support, not Subversion.