Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1998/07/24 00:41:08 UTC

Note: DON'T put '===' in CVS log messages

I've been looking (or trying to look) for some old CVS logs through
the cvsweb interface, and have found that files that were touched by
Ralf's 'HAVE_XXXX' patch .. stop there, history-wise.

The reason is that the cvsweb stuff recognises the pattern /^====/
as having special significance, and stops processing logs at that
point.  Since Ralf's CVS log text contained that, cvsweb won't
list any generations earlier than that patch for the files that
were affected.

So, memorandum: don't get fancy with your CVS log messages.  They
should be pretty brief, anyway.

As for the cvsweb problem.. I'm looking into it.

#ken	P-)}

Re: Note: DON'T put '===' in CVS log messages

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Behold!  Hundreds of generations emerge timourously from behind
> the bend sinister..
>
> In other words, as long as we stay away from 77 consecutive '='
> on a line by themselves in the CVS log text, this shouldn't happen
> again.
>
> Though I dislike extremely making the assumption that RCS will
> always use this pattern as a sentinel line..  Oh, well.

You may also just be using an old cvsweb.cgi script.  I looked through
mine and I don't have this check anywhere.

-Rasmus

Re: Note: DON'T put '===' in CVS log messages