Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Jason Brock <jb...@redhat.com> on 2019/03/06 22:23:08 UTC

A new vision for the Apache Camel Website

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jason Brock and I'm a Web UX and Visual Designer at Red Hat.
With your permission and participation I'd like to offer my skills and
experience to help update and improve the Apache Camel Website.

In the interest of total transparency, my process for open-source project
websites usually looks like this:

   1. Style Tiles
      - We deliver a small selection (3-5) style tiles, to establish
      guidelines for a visual design language
      - You nice folks evaluate those suggestions and provide feedback.
      Maybe you hold a vote. Maybe you have a discussion with feedback
and change
      requests. That part is up to your project team.
      - We deliver a revised/style tile for review.
      - Repeat as necessary.
      2. Architecture
      - We deliver a proposal for information architecture. Usually a
      visual map of the site that shows how many pages there are, how they're
      connected, and a high-level overview of what kinds of content exist there.
      - The community evaluates our design and provides feedback
      - We revise...
      - Repeat as necessary.
      3. Wireframes (sometimes we can skip straight to Mockups if things
   are moving along well)
      - We build some mid-resolution layouts of how the pages of the site
      will be arranged, usually black and white, not a lot of imagery, just
      getting the blocking right for page flow and functionality.
      - The community weighs in...
      - We revise...
      - Repeat as necessary.
      4. Mockups
      - We build high resolution mockups of the pages, intended to be used
      by front-end engineers to code against.
      - The community weighs in...
      - We revise...
      - Repeat until everyone is in agreement.
   5. Coding
      - Could be interested community members, or our MWES engineers. Most
      likely a combination of both.
      - We help review the final product against the approved mockups
      - The community weighs in...
   6. The site goes live!
      - We all celebrate

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns at any
time through this process, my aim is to support not dictate.

(If there's a good IRC channel or public chat service that you like to use,
someone please let me know - I'll join and you can ping me there, too)

All the best,

JASON K BROCK

Web UX DESIGNER, MIDDLEWARE ENGINEERING SERVICES

Red Hat - Austin, TX <https://www.redhat.com/> | jbrock@redhat.com |
512-786-8304

Re: A new vision for the Apache Camel Website

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hello everybody,

Thanks Jason for your aim to help.

I think Zoran already said everything needed. Thanks everybody for your involvement, we really want to have a new and nice site :-)

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

On Thursday, March 7, 2019, 10:46:34 AM GMT+1, Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> wrote:

Hi Jason,
thank you for offering to help with the website. Please make sure that
you subscribe to the dev@ mailing list (send an e-mail to
dev-subscribe@camel.apache.org), I needed to approve this e-mail from
the moderation queue.

We have an open issue outlining the tasks for the new website at
CAMEL-11492[1], can you go thought that and commend or create more
issues for the tasks you outline. I suggest that we track who's doing
what there and discus the details on the dev@ mailing list.

What we have currently is a staging website that is built from
apache/camel-website[2] git repository and there's a Jenkins build
that builds the website and publishes it to staging[3]. I'm also
trying to replace the Jenkins build with GitHub actions, there's a
discussion I started on that[4] yesterday.

We are also participating in Google Summer of Code for 2019 and we
have one student applicant (cc-ed Nayananga Muhandiram) interested in
helping with the website[5][6].

The design and much of the implementation we currently have was done
by Francois. I'll let Francois, Nayananga and you discuss on how to
collaborate, I would suggest that exchanging ideas on the mailing
list. to me it seems like the best way to do that.

For myself, I can help with the infrastructure work (builds,
scripting, coordinating with INFRA), and I can meddle with HTML/(bit)
CSS/layout templates, I would leave the design to the professionals.

thanks :)

zoran

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
[2] https://github.com/apache/camel-website
[3] https://camel.apache.org/staging/
[4] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/camel-dev/201903.mbox/%3CCABD_Zr-sTi0BQqCnxbE%3D%3DsCuivQ%2BTsx1LZ8_%3DqNGQTVOg4ZENw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[5] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/camel-dev/201903.mbox/%3CCAM5A4daJJF9RzVLbSeRecbOhmFT-hqiE5jE%2BkW9VkS_YZkd3kw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: A new vision for the Apache Camel Website

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi guys,

It's cool to have more contributions on the website ;)

I'm not a web design professional so don't hesitate to suggest!

regards,

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.