Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net> on 2000/12/06 20:39:13 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/generators config.m4

rbb@locus.apache.org writes:

> rbb         00/12/06 10:41:06
>
>   Modified:    modules/generators config.m4
>   Log:
>   Add cgi and cgid back into the configuration system.
>   Submitted by:	Paul J. Reder <re...@raleigh.ibm.com>

As I mentioned to Paul on new-httpd earlier today, this patch isn't
complete because we need to decide the MPM before we get to this code.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/generators config.m4

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > As I mentioned in my response to that, I realize that, but we need to be
> > able to build cgi and cgid.  Currently, we always build CGI, which won't
> > kill us.  We need to start adding config.m4 files in the correct order,
> > but I haven't looked into that yet.
>
> I came up with a solution for that a long while back. The basic idea was to
> add a couple digits into the config.m4 file name (e.g. config00.m4 or
> config50.m4) on the config files that needed particular ordering. The "find"
> would then sort them and use that ordered set for processing. config.m4
> files with no digits could be sorted first, last, or the middle as we decide
> (I think my demo sorted them first).
>
> The line of "find" code was posted here a while back. I can dig it up if
> this approach sounds somewhat reasonable.

That has some interesting properties that I kind of like.  Imagine putting
two configxxx.m4 files in the same directory.  The first could be added
and then later, after we had configured other parts of the server we would
grab the second.  That is really cool.  Yeah, I really like this
idea.  Have I said that enough?  My own opinion would be that config.m4
files would be inserted first, because that makes logical sense.  Same way
that "an" comes before "and" in the dictionary.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/generators config.m4

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 12:32:28PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> > > rbb         00/12/06 10:41:06
> > >
> > >   Modified:    modules/generators config.m4
> > >   Log:
> > >   Add cgi and cgid back into the configuration system.
> > >   Submitted by:	Paul J. Reder <re...@raleigh.ibm.com>
> >
> > As I mentioned to Paul on new-httpd earlier today, this patch isn't
> > complete because we need to decide the MPM before we get to this code.
>
> As I mentioned in my response to that, I realize that, but we need to be
> able to build cgi and cgid.  Currently, we always build CGI, which won't
> kill us.  We need to start adding config.m4 files in the correct order,
> but I haven't looked into that yet.

I came up with a solution for that a long while back. The basic idea was to
add a couple digits into the config.m4 file name (e.g. config00.m4 or
config50.m4) on the config files that needed particular ordering. The "find"
would then sort them and use that ordered set for processing. config.m4
files with no digits could be sorted first, last, or the middle as we decide
(I think my demo sorted them first).

The line of "find" code was posted here a while back. I can dig it up if
this approach sounds somewhat reasonable.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/