Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net> on 2005/01/21 04:06:03 UTC

Re: extreme measures, postmaster.rfci & comcast.net

(sorry for forwarding an off-list post onto the list.. but)
List Mail User <tr...@Plectere.com>

>         Matt,
>
>         From your lack of response, I can guess you're probably not
> interested
>in what I have to say (you can just delete this if so, and I promise to never
>send you uninvited email again).

Paul,

I have an interest in continuing our discourse, however you still do not
accept mail from my ISP. Thus, I cannot correspond with you on this matter.

If you wish to continue our conversation, please do so with an email
address I can reply to. I strongly dislike wasting my time writing replies
to your messages only to get bounces back.

Also, please in future mails please cite only abuse caused by properly
relayed mail from comcast's MTA's, not stuff directly sent from clients
that would be easily cleaned up by using a dynablock type list. (ie: the
spamhaus reference you included is all client nodes, take a look)

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso?isp=comcast.net

RE: extreme measures, postmaster.rfci & comcast.net

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 09:53 AM 1/21/2005, Don Levey wrote:
> > http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso?isp=comcast.net
>
>Their SBL does NOT list all Comcast dynablocks.  I use their SBL, and have
>had to manually block large ranges of Comcast space because Spamhaus doesn't
>pick them up.  For example, 68.85.198.87.  They're listen in their XBL, but
>NOT their SBL.

My point exactly.

Really, that post was in response to an off-list discussion, so it would be
hard to follow without recapping several large off-list emails.

My argument was not against using SBL. It was against using SBL's top 10 as
a reason to create a categoric block of all netspace owned by an ISP when
SBL is only listing client nodes not servers.

Re: extreme measures, postmaster.rfci & comcast.net

Posted by "Frank M. Cook" <fc...@acsplus.com>.
> Their SBL does NOT list all Comcast dynablocks.  I use their SBL, and have
> had to manually block large ranges of Comcast space because Spamhaus
doesn't
> pick them up.  For example, 68.85.198.87.  They're listen in their XBL,
but
> NOT their SBL.

you can use sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org and test both lists with one check.  what
cf file do I need to edit to have spamassassin do this?

Frank M. Cook
Association Computer Services, Inc.
http://www.acsplus.com

RE: extreme measures, postmaster.rfci & comcast.net

Posted by Don Levey <sp...@the-leveys.us>.
Matt Kettler wrote:

> Also, please in future mails please cite only abuse caused by properly
> relayed mail from comcast's MTA's, not stuff directly sent from
> clients that would be easily cleaned up by using a dynablock type
> list. (ie: the spamhaus reference you included is all client nodes,
> take a look)
>
> http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso?isp=comcast.net

Their SBL does NOT list all Comcast dynablocks.  I use their SBL, and have
had to manually block large ranges of Comcast space because Spamhaus doesn't
pick them up.  For example, 68.85.198.87.  They're listen in their XBL, but
NOT their SBL.

Now that I know about their XBL, I can start using it (I think they set that
up after I had configured the main parts of my mail server).

 -Don