Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/02/17 02:48:20 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache HBase 0.98.0 is now available for download

hbase-0.98.0 is now available for download [0] from the Apache mirrors and
its artifacts are available in the Apache Maven repository.

Apache HBase is a scalable, distributed data store that runs atop Apache
Hadoop.

HBase 0.98.0 is the next major release after HBase 0.96.

This release includes several new security features like cell visibility
labels, cell ACLs, and transparent server side encryption. Please see the
Security section of the HBase Online Manual [1] for more information. There
are significant performance improvements, such as a change to the write
ahead log threading model that provides higher transaction throughput under
high load, reverse scanners, MapReduce over snapshot files, and striped
compaction. The complete list of changes in this release can be found in
the release notes. [2]

HBase 0.98 is expected to be wire compatible with HBase 0.96, so clients
and servers mixed between these versions will seamlessly interoperate,
provided new features available in 0.98 are not enabled. However, the HBase
0.98.0 release is not intended to be binary compatible at the Java API
level with any HBase 0.96 release or earlier. You may need to recompile
applications which reference the HBase JARs. Users of HBase 0.94 will have
to perform an offline data migration procedure during upgrade. Consult the
HBase Online Manual [1] for more information. It is not necessary to
migrate data from 0.94 to 0.98 through 0.96, you can upgrade from 0.94 to
0.98 directly if desired following the same procedure for upgrading from
0.94 to 0.96.

Thanks to all who contributed to this release.

At your service,
The HBase dev team

0. http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/hbase/
1. https://hbase.apache.org/book/book.html
2. http://goo.gl/y25W2h

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache HBase 0.98.0 is now available for download

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
The list if changes can be found toward the bottom of this announcement:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/DHED4o0A1G/Hbase+0.98.0+RC2&subj=Re+The+3rd+HBase+0+98+0+release+candidate+RC2+is+available+for+download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
See footnote 2 of the announcement email.

Looks like we missed updating the bundled changes file when making the tarball. Apologies, that will be rectified next time.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi,

Posted by YouPeng Yang <yy...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Good on you for making a fat release andrew
Stack