Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/20 12:50:00 UTC

Re: Suggestion on JSR 283.

Hi Chand,

Thanks for your email and thanks for the link to jlibrary.

First of all I would like to express my appreciation for all
the work done and I think it is fantastic to see applications
like jlibrary operate on JCR. This is precisely what JCR is
meant to be used for.

I think jlibrary also demonstrates in an impressive way
the need for some guidelines around "Content Modeling"
in general and "Nodetype Modelling" in particular.
So jlibrary may be a very good example to explain the
caveats, pro and cons, dos and don'ts around
nodetype modelling.

What do you think would be a good forum for an initial
set comments and dialog around the jlibrary content
model? Since Martin is also active on jackrabbit-dev
list, this may well be a good place to start the
discussions from which we then can harvest the best
practices around "content modelling".

With respect JSR-283, I would like to answer as a
member of the expert group (neither as the spec-lead
nor on behalf of the expert group).

In my mind JCR should still try to stay out of semantic
information modelling as much as possible. Having said that,
there are a few select areas where the benefit of interoperability
by "imposing" a given very well-known and established
data model outweigh the associated dangers and efforts.

Examples from JSR-170 are nt:file, nt:folder and nt:resource.

In JSR-283 I personally would expect few and very simple
nodetypes that describe very well-known, established and
frequently used concepts. Personally, I think of things
like a dublin-core or a "natural language" mixin.

Of course I am big believer in having a large number of
publicly known and well organized nodetypes, and any form
of complex media-types are perfect examples.

For an effort like that I would suggest a different platform
than the JCP that offers faster modification cycles and a
more open, less formalized and more collaborative environment.
Maybe the Jackrabbit project could host something like
a "Public Nodetype Library" initially?
[ http://zitting.name/jukka/2004/11/jackrabbit/msg00134.html ]

regards,
david

On 2/20/06, Chandresh Turakhia <ch...@bhartitelesoft.com> wrote:
> Dear David ,
>
> Jlibrary has done some nice work modelling nodes which basic applications need.
>
> http://jlibrary.sourceforge.net/6/hierarchy.html .JLibrary is Open Source DMS using Eclipse RCP by Martin.
>
> Even exo has done some decent work - Creating standard services like templating based on JSF+Velocity which most CMS need * use internally.Nice to have something that goes as standard sample repositories. So that it facilitates easy integration of various CMS.
>
> JSR 283 Extract :
>
> - Improvement of content repository interoperability through the addition of new standardized node types , including node types for meta information and internationalization
>
> Idea is to have standard nodes for DRM , MPEG 7 DDLs, MPEG 21 files.
>
> Standard property1 : AdaptableRenderer
>
>             property2 : AdaptablePersister
>
>            property3 : AdaptableQuery
>

> WORK DONE ON OUR SIDE : Most of these come as XSD files. Create Node for each and store using XMLBeans or Hibernate 3 . Hibernate3 is ORXM tool. It is XML mapping tool too.
>

> Mr Leonardo from Chiarglione seems to be doing some great work in this area. (http://www.dmpf.org/).
>
> Idea is when standard node is getting processed, rendering engine ( may be OpenLazzlo) checks for the property and uses it to create appropriate display. IDEA inspired by WSRP. Data stored info as to how to render itself in Portal frameworks.
>
> And use Persister property to get best of RDBMS (e.g Oracle Intermedia features ). Depending upon the content type ( Custom Node ) , different persistance mechanism can be usitilized.Joseph from Oracle could be of good help.Exo Uses Hibernate and it can be this task easy. :)
>
> EXO uses hibernate , so I think it should be easy to do. Benjabin should be able to guide.
>
> Of the track, but Something really interesting from Dr. Peiya Liu of Siemens Research to read
>
> http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xmle02/dx_xmle02/papers/03-02-01/03-02-01.html e.g. MMDOC-QL for specifying MPEG-7 XML document queries. An example of query is in the form of "finding all video object ids and show up time over a particular area".
>
> Basically somehow the idea goes against the principle of JSR 170 as I understand to NORMALIZE the datastructure, to use the best features.
>
> Architecturally , When the XQuery based application finds the document of certain type, application uses SubClassed Renderer,Query Engine.
>
> Regards
>
> Chand Turakhia

http://jcr.day.com JCR in Action!

mailto:david.nuescheler@day.com
http://www.day.com

David Nuescheler
Chief Technology Officer
Day Software AG
Barfuesserplatz 6 / Postfach
4001 Basel
Switzerland

T  41 61 226 98 98
F  41 61 226 98 97

Re: Suggestion on JSR 283.

Posted by Chandresh Turakhia <ch...@bhartitelesoft.com>.
Dear David / Benjamin

> Maybe the Jackrabbit project could host something like
> a "Public Nodetype Library" initially?
> [ http://zitting.name/jukka/2004/11/jackrabbit/msg00134.html ]

Yes. I had opportunity to look at previous thread. But it seems is the time
to start the project since Jackrabbit is approaching 1.0 version.
I can do initial documentation work. I do agree something similiar to
http://www-eleves.int-evry.fr/~deckmyn/docs/LDAP-ObjectClasses.html can
help, since LDAP standards have huge backing of industry.

Benjamin,
    Where can I get exo NodeModelling similiar to this page.
http://jlibrary.sourceforge.net/6/hierarchy.html
    I shall the same on Exo Platform forum to that others can also benefit.

>> Idea is to have standard nodes for DRM , MPEG 7 DDLs, MPEG 21 files.
>>
>> Standard property1 : AdaptableRenderer
>>
>>             property2 : AdaptablePersister
>>
>>            property3 : AdaptableQuery

On the query front, I apprepriate exo's approach of having grammar service
and have something like JCR-SQL .

Benjamin / David :
Can we aim to get JCR-SQL  in jackrabbit-commons - a general-purpose JCR
query utility library.
Or atleast standardized it INFORMALLY. :)

Benjamin may want to send some sample tutorial based on JCR-SQL.Basically
exo has done some smart work to define query and writing grammar for the
same.

Re: Suggestion on JSR 283.

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Well, I have been reading these last emails with great surprise. As jLibrary
author, I must thank you both for the opinion and references about my
project.

jLibrary is a modest project, I really don't know if it can serve as a
model, because maybe I missed several points (for example workflow is not
implemented), but well, if my object model can serve as an starting point,
that will be simply great. jLibrary is working now ( and is a project really
very healthy since I migrated from custom-hibernate-persistence to
Jackrabbit), and so if it can serve as a tool for testing purposes, it will
be even better.

Kind regards,

Martin

Re: Suggestion on JSR 283.

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chand,

> Yes. I had opportunity to look at previous thread. But it seems is the time
> to start the project since Jackrabbit is approaching 1.0 version.
> I can do initial documentation work. I do agree something similiar to
> http://www-eleves.int-evry.fr/~deckmyn/docs/LDAP-ObjectClasses.html can
> help, since LDAP standards have huge backing of industry.
Excellent.

> Benjamin / David :
> Can we aim to get JCR-SQL  in jackrabbit-commons - a general-purpose JCR
> query utility library.
> Or atleast standardized it INFORMALLY. :)
Are you talking about SQL as defined by the JCR spec?
Chapter 8.5 Searching Repository Content with SQL?

> Benjamin may want to send some sample tutorial based on JCR-SQL.Basically
> exo has done some smart work to define query and writing grammar for the
> same.
The more documentation the better... ;)

regards,
David