Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jean Pierre Urkens <je...@devoteam.com> on 2018/05/31 13:20:02 UTC

How to set up Tomcat as a client (not a server) for mutual SSL

I've a web application deployed under Tomcat-8.5.30 that sends  web service
(SOAP) requests (using Axis 1.4 framework) to another web server.

The target server applies mutual SSL and the SSL handshake fails on finding
an appropriate client certificate as requested by the server.

I can't seem to figure out how to tell Tomcat which client certificate to
use when requested to sends its client certificate during the handshake.

Any help is appreciated

Re: Re: How to set up Tomcat as a client (not a server) for mutual SSL

Posted by "GaoFeng_it@139.com" <Ga...@139.com>.
How to unsubscribe to tomcat

GaoFeng_it@139.com

From: Mark Thomas
Date: 2018-05-31 22:19
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How to set up Tomcat as a client (not a server) for mutual SSL
On 31/05/18 14:20, Jean Pierre Urkens wrote:
> I've a web application deployed under Tomcat-8.5.30 that sends  web service
> (SOAP) requests (using Axis 1.4 framework) to another web server.
>
> The target server applies mutual SSL and the SSL handshake fails on finding
> an appropriate client certificate as requested by the server.
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to tell Tomcat which client certificate to
> use when requested to sends its client certificate during the handshake.

This isn't Tomcat configuration. Tomcat plays no part in the outgoing
connection. You configure the connection for mutual TLS the same way you
would if you were writing a standalone client.

Personally, I'd use the API rather than the system properties but the
choice is yours.

Mark

Re: How to set up Tomcat as a client (not a server) for mutual SSL

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How to set up Tomcat as a client (not a server) for mutual SSL

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.