Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Don Ireland <sp...@donireland.com> on 2007/03/11 18:09:00 UTC

Training SA-Migrating from old IMAP to new IMAP server

I'm my email over from the services of fusemail.com to the IMAP server that comes with my shared hosting account.

When I copy my messages over from the old server, do I just run SA-learn against the messages as they are?  Or will the fact that they have fusemail headers in them cause SA to think messages without fusemail headers are spam?

I've always deleted spam after training the filters so I don't have any to feed to to the new system.  Will that be a problem?

Don Ireland

Re: Training SA-Migrating from old IMAP to new IMAP server

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Sunday 11 March 2007 18:09, Don Ireland wrote:
> I'm my email over from the services of fusemail.com to the IMAP server that
> comes with my shared hosting account.
>
> When I copy my messages over from the old server, do I just run SA-learn
> against the messages as they are?  Or will the fact that they have fusemail
> headers in them cause SA to think messages without fusemail headers are
> spam?

If so, you can make bayes ignore those headers with bayes_ignore_header in
local.cf. See the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3pm) manpage.

> I've always deleted spam after training the filters so I don't have any to
> feed to to the new system.  Will that be a problem?

Having too great an imbalance in numbers between ham and spam will bias the
bayes classifier towards "everything is spam" or in this case "everything is
ham".

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)