Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/02/08 23:29:20 UTC

(P)odling PMC

I'd like to see some clarification on the role of the PPMC and the
process of managing the PPMC membership. I've looked for guidance in
the web pages and it's not clear to me what to do to vote in a new
PPMC member, and then what to do.

For example, in Incubation_Policy.html, there is no mention of the
role of the PPMC or PPMC members under the section "Roles". There are
roles defined for Champion, Sponsor, Mentor, and Committers, but
nothing for PPMC or PPMC member.

During incubation, I think that the PPMC members should get practice
in calling votes for releases as well as discussing and calling votes
for new committers and new PPMC members. These activities might be
discussed in the "Incubation Activities" section of the policy.

I'll be happy to synthesize and report my understanding of the roles
and processes and propose patches and file JIRA issues if this is
considered valuable.

Craig

Craig Russell
DB PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: (P)odling PMC

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> During incubation, I think that the PPMC members should get practice in
>> calling votes for releases as well as discussing and calling votes for
>> new
>> committers and new PPMC members. These activities might be discussed
>> in the
>> "Incubation Activities" section of the policy.
>
> +1

Let's make sure we don't confuse things (as I just did at stdcxx), and spell
out that the project can collect committers, and ppmc members; or they can
go the (preferable) route of committer==ppmc member.

It might not work for long established projects, but works nicely at the
podling level.  The docs aught to say that a nomination [insert example]
should say "Nomination for PPMC+Commit; Joe Schmoe" so there isn't any
ambiguity - if that's the project's preference.

Bill

Re: (P)odling PMC

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see some clarification on the role of the PPMC and the process
> of managing the PPMC membership. I've looked for guidance in the web pages
> and it's not clear to me what to do to vote in a new PPMC member, and then
> what to do.
>
> For example, in Incubation_Policy.html, there is no mention of the role of
> the PPMC or PPMC members under the section "Roles". There are roles defined
> for Champion, Sponsor, Mentor, and Committers, but nothing for PPMC or PPMC
> member.

yep: it's missing

> During incubation, I think that the PPMC members should get practice in
> calling votes for releases as well as discussing and calling votes for new
> committers and new PPMC members. These activities might be discussed in the
> "Incubation Activities" section of the policy.

+1

> I'll be happy to synthesize and report my understanding of the roles and
> processes and propose patches and file JIRA issues if this is considered
> valuable.

+1

please ping the list if i'm slow to respond (JIRAs often slip through)

- robert