Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Hargreaves <pd...@totalise.co.uk> on 2002/02/10 22:17:03 UTC

[C2] Performance Tuning - pool-max, pool-min and pool-grow

Hi Folks,

I've read so much documentation and so many listings - and I'm confused! Could
someone help clarify please?

Can I apply these setting to all components (in cocoon.xconf and sitemap.xmap)
or should they only be applied to some components - if so which ones.

Is this the correct way to minimise the memory used by component instances:

pool-max=1, pool-min=1, pool-grow=1

Is there a way to see how much memory is used by these settings? They don't seem
to be visible on the status page.

Any advice or clarification very welcome.

Thanks,
Peter.

<MySystem> Gateway G6-350 (392,612k RAM), NT4.0sp6, jdk-1.3.1, tomcat-4.0.1,
cocoon2.0.2-dev, NS Nav 4.7, NS 6.1, IE 5.0</MySystem>

RE: [C2] Performance Tuning - pool-max, pool-min and pool-grow

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Peter Hargreaves [mailto:pdh@totalise.co.uk]
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've read so much documentation and so many listings - and I'm
confused! Could
> someone help clarify please?
>
> Can I apply these setting to all components (in cocoon.xconf and
sitemap.xmap)
> or should they only be applied to some components - if so which ones.

Read below.

> Is this the correct way to minimise the memory used by component
instances:

> pool-max=1, pool-min=1, pool-grow=1

Yes. You will end up with one and only component in the pool. If more
will be required, they will be created on the fly and destroyed after
usage (read: significant slow down under load). That's why you should
count who many objects you need to have to serve desired load. Logs can
help a little bit (watch out for "decommissioning instance of", and
"creating instance of" or something like this)

> Is there a way to see how much memory is used by these settings? They
don't
> seem to be visible on the status page.

Only what janitor reports to the log file is known.

Vadim