Posted to dev@pekko.apache.org by Jean-Luc Deprez <Je...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/08 13:20:31 UTC

LICENSE, NOTICE and Source Headers

LICENSE:
Seems like the easy part
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/blob/main/LICENSE
is a clean copy of the ASF license.
Might have to paste in that protobuf license.

NOTICE:
Will have to be compiled.
https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
And will have to contain a section for lightbend.

Source Headers:
This is where it get's complicated.
As suspected, the Lightbend header will need to stay in place.
https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/blob/main/akka-actor/src/main/scala/akka/AkkaException.scala#L2

But I'd think the whole code base will "evolve significantly" over time, so
something should be added there, yet just writing:

Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
or more contributor license agreements.

would obviously be wrong.

Re: LICENSE, NOTICE and Source Headers

Posted by Jean-Luc Deprez <Je...@gmail.com>.
Looks like there was some discussion on this already, but information is a
bit scattered. ATM.

Just posting here for the next person that hits this thread.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/pull/36#discussion_r1017070008

pjfanning <https://github.com/pjfanning> 2 hours ago
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/pull/36#discussion_r1017070008> •

edited

my response is based on
https://lists.apache.org/thread/z0r4sr4kdvmh52mlhc5porot2sh1wtok

there will be a need to have 2 copyrights in some files but it won't happen
yet - the plan for next few months is minimal changes (we only need to have
2 licenses headers when we have a file with significant Lightbend input and
significant Apache input) - we can agree what the 2 copyright header looks
like - but it is not urgent - the 2 copyright header could be as simple as
having the existing Lightbend license and then the Apache license after it

Re: LICENSE, NOTICE and Source Headers

Posted by Jean-Luc Deprez <Je...@gmail.com>.
Oh, it varies between binary and source even (though that might not apply
for akka, to be seen).

BTW, I had a throw at merging the Lightbend copyright notice with the
standard Apache header and posted it here to gather some feedback, before
sending it to the legal JIRA.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/38

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,