Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/25 16:29:35 UTC

[all] commons-parent pom release

I would like to do a release of commons-parent mainly for the OSGi
(i.e. bundle) plugin and commons-build-plugin - the full set of
changes are here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=630871&r2=611431&diff_format=h

I know James had a couple of proposals (adding site deployment and
assembly plugin to "rc" profile) - but I'm not sure about them ATM
(adding the assembly plugin messes up anything that doesn't have an
assembly - e.g. commons-parent).

Also I only just noticed that the compiler plugin configuration moved
from the "build\plugins" section to "build\plugins\pluginManagement" -
not sure what the reason for that was, but I guess thats my lack of
understanding

I'll leave this at least a couple of days to see what kind of
discussion evolves before starting a vote on commons-parent-8

Niall

Re: [all] commons-parent pom release

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On 2/26/08, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> It has been used internally by the Maven developers for quite some time
>  now. The main purpose is to move artifacts from a staging repository to
>  the real repository.
>
>  A staging repo, usually put in a user's home directory on people, is
>  used for staging a release. From there is will be checked by the pmc and
>  other interested parties.

I like this idea.  I tinkered with the idea of having m2 "deploy" my
artifacts to a dummy repository inside my home directory on
people.apache.org, by overriding the deployment settings in the "rc"
profile.  But, I ended up doing it manually because I wanted
everything to live in a directory name suffixed by the release
candidate number (rc4 for example).  Subsequent deployments would
actually overwrite the previous release candidate's artifacts and I
wasn't too sure that was the right thing to do.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
<si...@chello.at> wrote:
> [...]
>  >>  >  the command line or in their settings.xml
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  We just need a nice document (currently in the works) that
>  >>  specifically spells out the exact steps (with maven/SVN commands).
>  >>
>  >
>  > OK but I still don't see much benefit - if I'm creating a release
>  > candidate I have to zip up the artifacts and upload them to
>  > p.a.o/~niallp so no big deal to include the site as well. My
>  > preference is to keep it simple and I can't see me using this. I guess
>  > its not a big deal to include it, but does anyone else think its a
>  > good idea?
>  >
>  Does anyone know what the very-recently-released maven-stage-plugin does?
>  It's meant to be used for staging releases, but apart from that I

Only looked at the docs:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-stage-plugin/copy-mojo.html

Theres just one goal to copy from one maven repo to another.

Niall

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > OK but I still don't see much benefit - if I'm creating a release
>  >  candidate I have to zip up the artifacts and upload them to
>  >  p.a.o/~niallp so no big deal to include the site as well. My
>  >  preference is to keep it simple and I can't see me using this. I guess
>  >  its not a big deal to include it, but does anyone else think its a
>  >  good idea?
>
>  You're right.  It's really not that big of a benefit.  But, it does
>  save at least one step (in a somewhat daunting process for the newbies
>  like me).  I wish we could just issue one command and have the site
>  deployed where it's supposed to go and the distribution files built,
>  signed, checksummed (is that a word?), and copied to where they're
>  supposed to go.  Now that would be automation! :)

OK so lets leave this for the moment and get version 8 of
commons-parent out. We definetly need to improve this with at a
minimum good docs - perhaps would be good to discuss at ApacheCon,
hopefully with some maven gurus around.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.