Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net> on 2003/05/01 06:20:33 UTC

mod_jk 1.2 Apache 2 hook priorities

Currently the Apache 2 mod_jk 1.2 name_translate hook is set to APR_HOOK_FIRST,
and the handler hook is set to APR_HOOK_MIDDLE.  I found that this makes mod_jk
have precedence over some core modules such as mod_alias which has its name_translate
configured at APR_HOOK_MIDDLE.  This can prevent an Alias config from working for
a virtual host which is using mod_jk.

I would like to change the hook priority for both name_translate and the handler
to APR_HOOK_LAST.  This will allow core modules to act upon the request before
mod_jk does.  There should be no problem setting them to the same priority since
the handler always gets invoked after name translation has been done.

I saw this problem using JkAutoAlias.  It was taking priority over a
core apache Alias config directive.

I have tested these changes and mod_jk seems to work fine.

Does anyone know of a reason why this change couldn't be made?

Thanks,

Glenn

Re: mod_jk 1.2 Apache 2 hook priorities

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

>> Before the release or after ?
>>
>> I know it changed few times, and it's not a trivial change.
>>

> I checked with cvs log and then grepped the cvs file on icarus
> for apache-2.0/mod_jk.c.  The priority of those hooks has never changed
> since mod_jk.c was first written for Apache 2.

Try looking in jk2 sources. The same change was made, and then rolled back.

>> +1 if you make the change after release, so it get more testing.
>> I'm close to -1 on making it a "last minute" change. If you really need
>> it, then we should delay the release of jk1.2 with few weeks.
>>

> I can wait for it to be in a subsequent release.  Or delay the release of
> mod_jk 1.2.3. mturk and I still have to resolve some issues with the
> Apache 2 logging between Windows and *nix.
>
> I have already branched the code, so I can make the change in CVS HEAD
> now.

Sounds good, +1

I have no problem with having the change in the release, just want to
be sure some more testing is done and we understand all implications
( I have no idea what went wrong in jk2 when the change was made, Mladen
could know more ).

Costin

Re: mod_jk 1.2 Apache 2 hook priorities

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>

>>Currently the Apache 2 mod_jk 1.2 name_translate hook is set to
>>APR_HOOK_FIRST,
>>and the handler hook is set to APR_HOOK_MIDDLE.  I found that this makes
>>mod_jk have precedence over some core modules such as mod_alias which has
>>its name_translate
>>configured at APR_HOOK_MIDDLE.  This can prevent an Alias config from
>>working for a virtual host which is using mod_jk.
>>
>>I would like to change the hook priority for both name_translate and the
>>handler
>>to APR_HOOK_LAST.  This will allow core modules to act upon the request
>>before
>>mod_jk does.  There should be no problem setting them to the same priority
>>since the handler always gets invoked after name translation has been
>>done.
>>
>>I saw this problem using JkAutoAlias.  It was taking priority over a
>>core apache Alias config directive.
>>
>>I have tested these changes and mod_jk seems to work fine.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a reason why this change couldn't be made?
>

> Before the release or after ?
>
> I know it changed few times, and it's not a trivial change.

I checked with cvs log and then grepped the cvs file on icarus
for apache-2.0/mod_jk.c.  The priority of those hooks has never changed
since mod_jk.c was first written for Apache 2.

> +1 if you make the change after release, so it get more testing.
> I'm close to -1 on making it a "last minute" change. If you really need it,
> then we should delay the release of jk1.2 with few weeks.

I can wait for it to be in a subsequent release.  Or delay the release of mod_jk 1.2.3.
mturk and I still have to resolve some issues with the Apache 2 logging between Windows and *nix.

I have already branched the code, so I can make the change in CVS HEAD now.

Regards,

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.